Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Log on to work network suddenly not possible

Hi

New to this forum. Would appreciate any help. Have worked at home 2-3 days a week since Covid19 started. Have a work laptop which on logging on uses BigIP edge client (Egress switch) to link me to the work network and it usually does it automatically at log in.  All has been fine until 1 week ago when it stopped doing that and just sticks at connecting to downloading/ waiting to connect to server and says it is in offline mode. 

I did the usual restart the computer, restart the WiFi and it made no difference. But we have WiFi on our phones and other computers working ok. It even shows on the work laptop that WiFi is connected. I can get into the internet but not the network on the laptop. 

Ive had the IT guys reset the laptop at work but the issue persists. However I visited my mum today (part of our bubble) and the laptop worked fine there on her broadband ( not Virginmedia)and connected to my work network. So must be a broadband/ WiFi issue. 

Trying to get support and an engineer out from Virgin and I can’t get that support  they say their tests say everything is fine  

Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Log on to work network suddenly not possible

What is your connection like using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Check that your IP hasn’t been inadvertently blocked on your works side 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

I’ve been given a new laptop last week while they look at my old one ( we assumed it was a laptop issue) so the cable I have is the wrong one. I’ll pick up a cable from our IT team tomorrow and  try that. Will post again after that. Thank you 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Will check that Gary- Thank you 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@PLG wrote:

Will check that Gary- Thank you 

To test the above theory put your HUB into modem mode and connect your laptop via ethernet.

You get a different public IP address when in modem mode.

To put it back into router mode either do a full reset (Pin hole press for 60 seconds) or access the HUB on http://192.168.100.1 instead of the usual http://192.168.0.1 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi @MikeRobbo

i used a cable today and it shows as connected, secured but still wouldn’t link to my work network. 

Paula 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@PLG wrote:

Hi @MikeRobbo

i used a cable today and it shows as connected, secured but still wouldn’t link to my work network. 

Paula 

Did you try my suggestion?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi I’m not very tech savvy. I’ve changed the WiFi hub to modem mode via the dashboard page and restarted it 10 mins ago. I’ve connected an Ethernet cable but my laptop is saying unidentified network no internet access. 
not sure if I’ve plugged the Ethernet cable into the right socket. There are a choice of 4 all in use so I took one out and put the cable into that one. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

In Modem Mode only one ethernet port on the Hub is active, remove ALL the ethernet cables then plug just the laptop in.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos