Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Local name resolution

I have a computer on my LAN plugged into my SH3.  I can address it by IP address but not by name (I get "Temporary failure in name resolution").  I have tried both static IP address and a reserved dynamic address.  This is also the case with all the hosts on my network, none of which I can address by name.

How do I configure local name resolution on my LAN using an SH3?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local name resolution

Hello

I have seen this, this is due to the Virginmedia DNS servers not knowing anything about your home network, and the only solution I have found to this is too purchase and use your own router which mush have DNS caching.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Or just run your own dhcp and dns server. You can skip the dhcp server if all your clients are static ip. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

Only one of my local clients (out of at least 15) is static so I need a DHCP server.  I'm trying to get boxes off my network so it's frustrating to have to put another box on the network simply to do local name resolution.  It might be easier to put my MQTT broker (which is what the static IP server is) in the cloud rather than on a Raspberry Pi but that would mean re-programming my IoT devices, which is also pretty annoying.

I suppose I could just run the DNS server on the MQTT broker machine but I prefer to keep separate servers for separate purposes to minimise the impact of a system failure.

0 Kudos