cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightning Fast, Not!!

ESR1968
Joining in

I have had problems with my internet speed for most of my contract. I have contacted the tech team so many times, changed my settings, reset my hub a trillion times and sent an engineer out, after the visit it worked well for 3 days then went back to crap speeds. I appreciate that you lose some speed over Wifi but I am getting from 502.40kbps to 9.2mbps and it is just not good enough and I want a permanent solution. I have spoken to your colleagues over on the Twitter platform and have referred me here. We are gamers in our household or at least try to be when the hub allows us to it buffers and drops connection. I am at breaking point with Virgin Media and my contract doesn’t finish until next year so I am stuck with you until then. So I want a permanent fix to this problem. 

5 REPLIES 5

lotharmat
Community elder
True gamers never use WiFi!

In seriousness - What happens on wired connections?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you are multiple players in different rooms sharing WiFi from the basic VM Hub, then the speed variation you report is to be expected. 

First check the broadband connection,  and if that is OK then look to getting yourself a mesh system that will provide solid coverage throughout your house.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Far, far better to use Ethernet cables for gaming. WiFi is half duplex not full duplex, that means it cannot send and receive at the same time.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Absolutely. But as a family of gamers they may not wish to run cables all over the house. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
My lad is a semi-pro gamer and also claims that "Wifi is the work of Satan" - so connects PC and consoles on ethernet ports on a pair of good quality powerline adapters - and has no issues at all. One is next to and connected to the Hub the other is plugged in his room.

They do attenuate speeds but he gets ~50mbps on our 200 connection which is way more than required for any gamer.

Might be worth you doing some research to see whether that will suit your set up

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.