cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lies about the Service Status

GlenMeehan
On our wavelength

My broadband and TV went down on Tuesday 24th Feb at around 5am. When I called 150 I got an automated message saying that my services work was underway in my postcode area to improve services and broadband and TV services would be unavailable but the matter would be resolved by 9am. I checked the service status on my account and it reports no problems.

9am came and went and service had not resumed. Calling 150 again the new deadline was 1:15 pm. This deadline came an went and a new deadline was set of 9am 25th Feb. I hung on (for 40 minutes) to speak to someone. Unfortunately they repeated the same information, when I pressed I the guy said that was the message they had been told to give to customers. I was not convinced I was getting the full story. I asked to be put through to somebody who could help. After another 10 minute wait while I could hear tapping and chatting in the background, I was put through to another advisor. I questioned the revised resolution timescale of 9am 25th Feb, it was now past 8pm and I queried if the engineers would be working through the night. The advisor did not know. I asked about compensation and was told it would only be triggered after 48 hours of continuous interruption to service. I expressed my dissatisfaction and suggested that I would look to other providers. The response could not have been delivered with great lack of interest or enthusiasm. I could raise a ticket which would prompt text updates and may or may not result in compensation. I was left feeling my custom was unimportant and they were doing me a favour talking to me.

9am 25th came and went and no resolution and what's more the deadline for resolution remained at 9am. Clearly at this point Virgin Media have given up pretending they are updating. 

By mid morning of 25th February I managed to arrange an appointment for an engineer to pay a site visit. I had several texts throughout the day confirming, checking, questioning whether anybody in the household had covid 19 or symptoms. All was OK and so the arrangements finalised and agreed. I cleared access to the broadband and TV connections which are normally behind furniture and thoroughly cleaned and disinfected the whole area. This took a lot of effort. Then at 8pm a text saying they had put the site visit on hold -basically cancelled at short notice.

I called to complain and explained I felt I was not being fully kept in the picture. It was at this point I was informed that service would not be resumed until 2nd of March at the earliest. At this point I realised the other two advisors I had spoken to were not telling me the truth. Let's be clear here it is Virgin Media who are lying. Clearly somebody in the organisation new what was going on but chose to keep quiet about it.

I have been told compensation will be triggered but Virgin Media don't get the negative impact and don't try to resolve the immediate problem with any other solution. The impact on us is severe.

My two children are home schooling. One is in GCSE year and so every day is critical. The other is doing a games development course and has assignments to hand in. This is stressful and damaging to them both in terms of impact on the educational attainment and the social and mental well being. Had we been kept more informed we would perhaps have been able to make other arrangements. Instead we were kept hanging with false promises of early resolution. Shame on yo Virgin Media.

We also have other services that rely on the internet which is not being provided. So e of these are paid services and we are unable to use them. All this means is that the catastrophic failure of service and inept customer care mean we are wasting more money than just the service we pay for with Virgin Media.

On top of all of this we will need to make other provisions to cover the gaps in service that Virgin Media are incapable of or unwilling to deal with. We will at least get our TV up and running and I feel in the process will have removed the need for the TV package we currently pay for. Virgin Media should be trying to do this for us if they are not able to sort out their own are of expertise in a timely fashion.

My whole experience with this has been below poor. The regulator has set a floor below which providers should not dip, Virgin Media are sitting on that floor with no intention of moving their backsides anywhere soon. A complete shambles and Virgin Media should feel ashamed.

22 REPLIES 22

Thanks for the tip. I will do that.

To be clear this is an issue with both TV and broadband. Both are continuously off. There is no activity at all on either item.

I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GlenMeehan wrote:

To be clear this is an issue with both TV and broadband. Both are continuously off. There is no activity at all on either item.

Ah yes....  in that case you will need to call it is and see what they have to say about it.  Did you get through to an actual person or was it a recorded message about a fault?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your help. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks, I did try logging into the router but had no success. Also found that the only access I had to VM was my home phone, strangely it has now developed a fault do now I have extremely limited access to VM. It feels like they are cutting off all options to complain.

it

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I will ask VM to come here and see if they can see what's happening

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you. I still have no internet connection and no updates from VM despite signing up for text message updates. We are very desperate now as one of our children needs to get his assignment in for school otherwise he will fail and need to retake the whole module. This is really having an adverse effect on our family and VM seem to be less than sympathetic. I really have lost faith that anything is actually being done.

Hi GlenMeehan

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies for the broadband and TV issues. I've not been able to locate your account via the forum information provided. 

Can you please PM me the following; the account number or postcode and house number and the name on the account

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks John, I think I have sent them but I did get a message saying I had reached the limit of number of private messages I can send.

Hi, 

No PM has come through, could you try again for me?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John, I tried again this morning, did you get the message?