cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Less Than 1/10 Advertised Speed

jonathanwood
Tuning in

Something has gone wrong with my network. I pay for Gig1 and have been getting around 1000 Mbps down until recently. This has now gone down to around 45 Mbps down. My upload speed is a bit higher than my download at the moment at about 50 Mbps.

I've tried different speed tests on both wired and wireless devices and they all yeild about the same results.

I'm using my Hub 4 in modem mode due to its poor signal stength throughout the house and am using an eero Pro 6 router. All devices are connected to this. I've used the Virgin Media "Test my Broadband" and it can't detect any issues. I've also tried restarting the router and modem to no avail.

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

Go to the hub management pages at 192.168.100.1. (IP address when in modem mode) and check hub status figures.

Post the data here.

Also, if you have a laptop (or PC) connect it directly with Ethernet to the hub (instead of your router).  You should get a different public IP address.  What speed do you get to the laptop then? Is surfing internet fast?  This can help determine if it’s the broadband, hub or your network where the issues lie.

Further, you can try hub in default router mode - VM will likely want it like that for any tests/diagnostic themselves and won’t support setups with your own kit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

g0akc
Problem sorter

Go to the hub management pages at 192.168.100.1. (IP address when in modem mode) and check hub status figures.

Post the data here.

Also, if you have a laptop (or PC) connect it directly with Ethernet to the hub (instead of your router).  You should get a different public IP address.  What speed do you get to the laptop then? Is surfing internet fast?  This can help determine if it’s the broadband, hub or your network where the issues lie.

Further, you can try hub in default router mode - VM will likely want it like that for any tests/diagnostic themselves and won’t support setups with your own kit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks so much for your help but as is often the case. I restarted the modem once again as a last ditch attempt and speeds are back up to normal. Apologies for wasting your time.