cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency issues?

Sylar1092
Tuning in

Hi we just bought Virgin Media 100MB WiFi plan and I did some research before buying and I heard a lot of disconnection issues and high latency issues, but I can't get anything else appart from VM as my house doesn't support any Openreach services. I understand that some issues are due to the bad superhub 3 due to low number of antennas to spread the WiFi. But I'm just curious as I am going to mainly use ethernet and I might even buy a router and change superhub 3 to modem mode, is latency and disconnection an issue of the superhub 3 or the actual WiFi provider itself? 

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM's DOCSIS connection is certainly more prone to latency (not really disconnections) - whether its of any consequence to your activities  you wont know until you are running it.

When you are up and running set up a BQM (as below) and all will be revealed.

The wifi will certainly be improved by getting your own router and wireless equipment - but wait and see whether you have any issues - there may be none

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Sylar1092, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

We appreciate you have concerns with taking up the service but we would like to do all we can to help put your mind at ease. 

Although we cannot guarantee a strong signal throughout your home due to many factors outside of our control, we will do all we can to help with any trouble spots. Information on this can be found here

We offer a variety of support/contact tool (including the Forum) so you are welcome to reach out to us if you are ever in need of assistance. 

Please let us know if you have any questions. 

Thanks 

Nat