cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency and packet loss. Possible traffic issue?

Mills78
Joining in

Good afternoon,

Up until Thursday (around 3.30pm) I have had no issues with download speed, packet loss or latency. However, since Thursday (writing this on a Sunday) I have had the same issue from around 3.30pm until just past midnight (although it started at 11.30 am today). Now, in that time window, I get around 10mb download, 20 upload (usually somewhere between 200/230mb download, and 20 upload, and constant packet loss, with a jump in minimum latency. I will attach the BQM for reference. BQM have some example graphs, and the one they have that is similar supports an issue the ISP end  possibly a traffic issue? 

Any help would be very much appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14

Mills78
Joining in
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e9258d015b1f9a771efae75f7bf6646d5389aa63

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The link shows data from Dec 21! Can you post the link to "share live graph" so we can see what it looks like in real time.

Also, have you checked for “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Evening,

Thats the title as its the date I originally started a BMQ after some lag spikes around that date, and left it running ever since. The one posted is from today (should have mentioned that, apolagies).

I have checked. No reported issues in the area over the last few days (I've called it every day).

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e9258d015b1f9a771efae75f7bf6646d5389aa63

Uralowl1
On our wavelength

I unfortunately don't have anything to really add or advice, but thought I'd chime in that I've also been getting this issue since Thursday (though it got much worse since Friday). I noticed some images on some sites were taking a while to load, and checked my BQM to notice latency spikes and consistent packet loss. Definitely not how my BQM looks normally. I tried rebooting my hub but it didn't solve it at all.

Since then the latency has been consistently peaking around 4-6pm which is accompanied by packet loss, and seems to remain that way until around 11pm-12am then it goes back to normal. I've noticed my download speed has dropped as low as 5mbps during these times (it's normally 40-80mbps on most of my devices that are connected through wifi, 150-200mbs on ethernet connections), my upload usually remains around 20mbps though.

He's a link to my live BQM: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b6eee51c4184b8d115d1e055058dbde82b...

@Uralowl1 wrote:

I unfortunately don't have anything to really add or advice, but thought I'd chime in that I've also been getting this issue since Thursday (though it got much worse since Friday). I noticed some images on some sites were taking a while to load, and checked my BQM to notice latency spikes and consistent packet loss. Definitely not how my BQM looks normally. I tried rebooting my hub but it didn't solve it at all.

Since then the latency has been consistently peaking around 4-6pm which is accompanied by packet loss, and seems to remain that way until around 11pm-12am then it goes back to normal. I've noticed my download speed has dropped as low as 5mbps during these times (it's normally 40-80mbps on most of my devices that are connected through wifi, 150-200mbs on ethernet connections), my upload usually remains around 20mbps though.

He's a link to my live BQM: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b6eee51c4184b8d115d1e055058dbde82b...

Seems There is an issue with the Quality monitor as many on here are reporting very similar graphs 

mine is identical to yours just now

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2ab4bf6dc83fe7b9b0fd74f01d3b2dd487262457

Well it does seem I'm not alone. I wonder if we are in similar areas?

Just done another speed test. Managed 8mbs. 

@Mills78 wrote:

Well it does seem I'm not alone. I wonder if we are in similar areas?

Just done another speed test. Managed 8mbs. 

I am in BR1 Bromley area, which speed test are you using as the one on ThinkBroadband shows me at 3mbs, although using another I am showing >600mbs,

Ah, I'm down in Kent. Speedtest.net is the one I've always used. Just strange how this has appeared for a few of us on Thursday. 

I've tried a few different devices for the test as well, with results being 1 or 2 mb different. 

Does the other one provide any info on ping/ packet loss?