cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Issues + Slow Speeds (HUB 4 + Third Party Unifi Gear)

thatprogrammer
Tuning in

Hello,

For as long as I can remember I've had issues with Virgin Media, but they've had me locked into contracts for the longest time and no one else can provide the advertised speeds they do in my area.

Over the past 2 months, my internet has been becoming worse and worse, with increased latency climbing up and causing me unable to be in calls, browse the internet, download anything or do basic tasks which require an internet connection. As of recent, it seems to have got so bad that WifiCall is impossible, our landline is crackling and trying to download anything brings my connection to a full stop. 

I paid for PingPlotter Sidekick as I had been using it to track my latency issues following a recommendation from a sysadmin friend, and when I started using sidekick a few days ago, it basically told me there was a bandwidth saturation on the Providers Network (third hop), as well as Bandwidth Saturation (ISP), also the third hop. 

thatprogrammer_0-1661262518378.png

I've got a tech coming out this coming Monday (29th August), which marks the 1000th visit to my property probably. As the lack tech who came here basically told me in no uncertain words that the issue was likely that my local hub box where my coax goes too from my property was jam-packed and likely was causing the low-speed issues, but I just want someone to come to basically look at it and go 'Yeah, that's it' and get it elevated to be resolved because I simply can not work with this latency and speed. 

18 REPLIES 18

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tudor  May be able to help and advise - he has a Unifi router I believe

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello,

It seems to be working again after resolving an ARP Conflict. It could just be coindence but after changing my LAN subnet on my Dream Machine Pro to 10.0.01/23, it was no-longer clashing with the router's modem mode, which is on 192.168.100.1. 

I'm unsure if this was always the problem but assuming it doesn't go back to the way it was by 4pm today, I'll be cancelling my tech visit. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On the UDM-Pro you need a firewall rule to ‘accept’ ICMP frames on ‘Internet in’.

For some reason the Hub4, unless you have your LAN on 192.168.0.0/24, still accepts frames from 192.168.0.1 as well as 192.168.100.1.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Can you provide how the 'Internet In' rule looks? I tried to do it myself and nothing changed. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Rule index, action, count, type, description

Accept
ICMP
Internet In
ICMP

Rule looks like this, unable to post rule table as the board says greater than 20000 chars when there is only five lines.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hello, that is what the rule looks like on my end. I left all values default this time and it matches that on the overview 'firewall rules'. 

Any other reason why ICMP wouldn't be possible? 

Good Afternoon @thatprogrammer.

Do please provide us with an update on today's engineer visit as soon as possible.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I cancelled the visit, I thought I mentioned. The issue seems to have gone away and it seems like it was either coincidence or conflicting ARP records due to my LAN network on my UniFi Network, which was using 192.168.0.1-192.168.1.254.

I think due to it using the same subnet as the hub 4’s own broadcasting 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.100.1, it was causing requests to take longer. 

I’m not going to specify blame and I believe it was misleading to everyone involved.

Since I changed my UniFi LAN network to use 10.0.0.1-10.0.1.254, the issue hasn’t been a problem and I’ve been happy with the performance of my network.

Thank you all for your attempts to help, you’ve at least tried to be more useful than phone support.

Thanks for coming back to us, do feel free to come back to us.

Do feel free to report back to this thread if the issue re-emerges and both our Team and forum posters will be happy to assist.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn