cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop not connecting to wifi

Florida1975
Joining in

We have just installed the new HUB 5 but my windows laptop won’t connected to the Wi-Fi.

I have followed everything but when I click to find our Wi-Fi it’s not there. I can see everyone else’s nearby.

Help! 

16 REPLIES 16

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

There's compatibility issues with the Hub 5, and some devices simply won't connect over wifi and won't until the firmware that the hub runs has been fixed.

Option 1) Live with it, hope they fix it soon, no visibility on whether this will be fixed in weeks or months.  I think the latter is a safer bet

Option 2) Call in and ask for different hub (a Hub 3 or 4) as the Hub 5 doesn't work properly (this is a known problem)

Option 3) Provide your own mesh or router and run the hub in modem mode.  I do this, but I believe most people won't entertain the idea of spending around £100 to sort out the wifi, they believe VM should sort it out. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Following on from @Andrew-G 's great advice, you could try the following;

Split the SSID

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes

• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

Set the 2.4Ghz band to a legacy setting after splitting the SSID

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless signal
In the Wireless frequency 2.4GHz select Wireless mode > 802.11b/g/n/ax mixed
Select Apply changes

If none of this works, then as Andrew has said, send the Hub 5 back.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks,

We had a hub 4. Everything else in the house is working and connecting apart from my laptop 😩

Hi Florida1975,

Thanks for reaching back out, sorry to see you still haven't been able to connect your Laptop since upgrading to our Hub 5.0, were you able to try what was advised above by Adduxi?

Regards

Paul.

I have the same issue.. I have ipads, iphones, 2 laptops all connected fine, but my PC will NOT see the Virgin Hu5 2 at all

Hi @aosullivan1977

Thanks for posting on our community forum and a big warm welcome with this being your first post!

Have you tried the above from the very helpful Adduxi? Please do keep us updated.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yes, wouldn’t have commented otherwise.. 🙂

Hey, aosullivan1977, thank you for confirming this.

Please can you let me know what type of laptop you have, is it an older model?

Have you also done a factory reset via the pin at the back? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

My laptop is fine, it’s a desktop pc that’s not working

the hub was only installed a few days ago so shouldn’t need to be reset, without it has need restarted, several times, and updated by Virgin 

pc is running windows 10 64bit and is about 3 years old, with the latest drivers for the Wi-Fi card.