Menu
DFitches99
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Laptop can not connect to wifi

My laptop can not connect to my WiFi, however all of my house mates have done so with no problem, and I can connect to next door’s WiFi (also virgin media)?? When I search for routers to connect to, mine does not show up! Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Laptop can not connect to wifi

@DFitches99 wrote:

My laptop can not connect to my WiFi, however all of my house mates have done so with no problem, and I can connect to next door’s WiFi (also virgin media)?? When I search for routers to connect to, mine does not show up! Thanks in advance 

Ok - the post is a little confusing so....  What model VM Hub do you have (printed on the sticker on the side, base or in drawer)?  Or are you actually using your own router (a Hub and Router are different beasts)? Are the housemates  connecting ok to the SAME Hub wifi network or do they have their own hub or router?  What VM broadband package do you have and what brand/model laptop do you have ?  Does it connect ok to other wifi networks ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
DFitches99
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I will check which model VM hub I have, I think it might just be a router though? I will double check. My house mates are all connected to the same router and have absolutely no problems what so ever (I was the first one to move in and attempt to connect). I have a Lenovo laptop and the most expensive Virgin WiFi package. My laptop connects absolutely fine to other networks with no issues, it just cannot find my WiFi network for some reason? Sorry for the ambiguity of my post!!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VM supply Hub's not routers - some people (me) buy their own routers and connect them to the Hub to provide better routing control and much better wifi - hence the confusion.  If you are on Vivid 350 (top package) you "must" have a Hub3.  This has a few issues that can often be corrected with "fixes".  As a starter you could try this...

Do a modified pinhole reset - as per message 12 - this has helped a lot of people with wifi issues this week.  Also worth doing after that is going into the Hub3 settings and disabling "channel optimisation" and renaming the ssid's of the 2.4/5 GHz networks so you can see them clearly on your laptop's networks list - this clears up lot of Hub3 wifi issues.  If your not sure how to do it - just post back.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Newish-hub-3-WIFI-incorrect-password/td-p/3...

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos