Menu
craigmc69
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Lack of Coverage

so after all my problems previously I got a Netgear nighthawk router and can't even get a wifi signal upstairs in the house when the router is sat at the bottom of them, I am at my wits end with this crap service

Please can someone recommend either a failsafe router that will work in a 40 year old house and cover the whole place or a solid mesh system that I can use 

otherwise we should be looking at a class action for legal recourse from VM as there are more people unhappy with this service than happy id say from reading here 

thanks 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lack of Coverage

forget legal stuff - wireless connectivity is expressly excluded from any guarantees - its all in the T&C's.

If you didnt, set it up again following this sequence.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for “how to” details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP & NAT mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
craigmc69
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I was getting WiFi downstairs already you think going back through that process you mention, (and I am Hub4) will give me whole house coverage ?

Thanks for answering 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unlikely.

TBH - you should put it into modem mode and use your own better quality router and wireless equipment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Or, to make the best of what you've already got, put the Hub 4 in router mode, then put the Nighthawk in access point mode, and place the Nighthawk upstairs, connected to the Hub 4 by a long Cat 7 ethernet cable.  You can either give both the same network name and password, and let devices automatically choose, or give them separate names and give devices the credentials for whichever you want them to use (or both).  

I'm a strong advocate of mesh wifi systems, but if your circumstances are such that the Nighhawk can't get a signal upstairs, there's a fair chance a mesh system would have similar problems, which may be down to structural steelwork, internal brick walls, even things like foil-backed plasterboard.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So you get a Wi-Fi signal downstairs, but not upstairs, with a Virgin Hub or with a Netgear Router?

How can you blame VM if the Netgear router doesn't do what you're hoping for either?

Wired connections and Wi-Fi near the router are OK?

• It sounds like there is something 'environmental' with your house
  • Look at doing a 'survey' with a Wi-Fi scanning app - see if there's interference/contention from neighbouring APs
  • As suggested, you may need to run an Ethernet cable and have a separate Wi-Fi AP (access point) upstairs - use the VM Hub and Netgear as an additional AP.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos