cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG smart TV poor wifi speeds on browser

Dug2
On our wavelength

Looking for advice about my wifi connection, from my hub to my LG smart TV.

I get excellent download speeds on my phone, with it right next to the TV, but quite poor on the TV, with buffering when streaming and using the browser.

With the speed tester I get upwards of 100Mb on my phone but barely 25Mb with the TV. 

Having exhausted numerous suggestions via Google, with regard to both LG and Virgin, clearing cookies and data on the browser and rebooting the hub/router, etc, etc, I seem to have exhausted my options. Just can't understand the difference in speeds between my phone and TV with them next to each other! Have seen suggestions to play around with the hub speeds, 2.4 and 5.0, but loathe to do that in case it all goes caput.

Any advice warmly welcomed. (:-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your tv is probably a bit naff, maybe use a firestick for your smart functions?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your tv is probably a bit naff, maybe use a firestick for your smart functions?

Dug2
On our wavelength

Thanks for your advice. Please excuse my ignorance, but would the firestick then connect to my wifi?

Client62
Legend

LG have made many TVs over a long period of time, the model / age is not mentioned or nor how up to date the apps are.

A 1080p Netflix movie is almost always streams at a rates below 7 Mb/s, on that basis 25Mb/s is plenty. 

In the help section of Netflix is a speed test - how does that compare ?

A Firestick does run on WiFi & ours speed tests well over 100Mb/s

Dug2
On our wavelength

Just checked.

It's a OLED55CX5LB and running the Netflix test gives 27.5Mb.

Guessing it's a browser/catchup problem then?

Would a firestick give a better browser function. I like to use the TV browser because of my eyesight.

Dug2
On our wavelength

Apologies, just saw your reply. Guess a firestick it is then. Any better than others?

Thanks

Dug2
On our wavelength

Yes, everything updated.

Having a large computer monitor I don't use the TV for internet and I've not installed a browser on my Firestick so I'm not much help there.

Your LG TV looks to be a very decent model from the last 3 years, I would have expected it to be fine at streaming programmes.

Does the TV report a good WiFi signal ?   ( Just because a mobile phone is ok - the next device is not always the same ).

A test with a long network cable might be worth while to see if that brings an improvement.

cje85
Trouble shooter

It sounds like the TV might be connected to the 2.4Ghz WiFi network which will always deliver slower speeds than 5Ghz.

Some LG TVs have a problem with WiFi that can only be resolved by opening up the TV and adjusting some internal cabling, it was very common a couple of years ago but would usually show as the WiFi turning itself off all the time.