cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kit test duration

DaveB1001
Joining in

Has anybody had success with with the online help and app tests? I joined  VM in November and it's the biggest mistake I ever made. I've had a replacement Hub3 because the first locked in modem mode. My WiFi is intermittent according to the app. It tells me I'm having trouble reaching my hub. When I run the tests (that should take a few seconds) they take 10 minutes and sometimes don't even complete. I have tried power on/off tried resetting numerous times. I do not want to be put in touch with a call centre and have to bite my tongue because they have me do it all again! 

This has become beyond a joke now and I would appreciate it if somebody has some other contact details.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Need more info.

What TV box are you using - TiVo, V6, 360?
Is it connected to the Hub on ethernet cable or wifi?
Have you tried connecting it to a different TV/monitor to see if the faults persist then?
Are the problems also on the TV when not using a VM Hub - on an ariel for example?

Finally, are the connection issues on other devices only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you explain what the connection issues are that you are experiencing - e.g. speeds, buffering, connection drops etc - and dont rely on any VM "tests".are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

Also,

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Forget the connect app and the hubs Wifi tests - they’re not accurate in the slightest.

What issues are you actually having?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi guys , thanks for the rapid response. The hub itself has the regular white/yellow solid light. I wish I could say there was a specific fault but it varies. Sound will suddenly drop out and I have to step out of the programme and go back in. The picture freezes and then buffers. The most common of all is the channel identity comes up (HDMI 1 etc) and sound lowers but does not drop out altogether.  This actually only started on new years eve and I put it down to congested airwaves. It's got worse gradually. I tried speedtest and it shows an end result  of 100mbs plus BUT it takes about 7 or 8 seconds to reach it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Need more info.

What TV box are you using - TiVo, V6, 360?
Is it connected to the Hub on ethernet cable or wifi?
Have you tried connecting it to a different TV/monitor to see if the faults persist then?
Are the problems also on the TV when not using a VM Hub - on an ariel for example?

Finally, are the connection issues on other devices only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I'm using a 4K firestick that's powered by its own plug and not USB.

The TV is fine when watching through the aerial  the sound is fine through TV speakers

Regarding the networking I have 2 echo studios as a soundbar, on WiFi . I was advised by the VM engineer to stick to the 5ghz band as it gives me more channel options and it should cover the house. So I do not have 2.4ghz activated.

I will now try connecting the firestick with a lan cable to the hub and monitor that. Would that be worthwhile do you think?

I'm very grateful for your help in this

Dave

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
So no VM TV boxes in the loop then?

Sounds like its a dodgy wifi signal at the stick - so yes, connect it on ethernet cable and see if that sorts it. If it does - stick with that (always the best solution) - or come back here for suggestions on how to improve the wifi signal to it

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi again, no  vm tv, got all I need with the stick. 

I've had the lan cable in since my last post with you and it has lost sound 3 times icluding picture frozen twice. I did restart everything after fitting the cable so I  will keep monitoring it for tonight. You've got me wondering about the reliability of the stick now though.

Thanks again for your help thus far, I might be back tomorrow, we'll see

Dave

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

lets get a bit more basic

log into hub3/4 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi Tony,

I've taken screenshot of all the d/l & u/l, sorry if there's too much info, hope it helps. If there was an easy way to get the info please leave me in blissful ignorance.

Thanks

Dave

Screenshot_20220116-203620_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220116-203608_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220116-203539_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220116-203527_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220116-203510_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220116-203501_Chrome.jpg