cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping same Wifi name and password

MiloO
Tuning in

Does anyone know if it's possible to bypass or change the wifi password complexity on the hub 4, so it doesn't require a number and upper case letter.

I've recently moved to VM from BT and wanted an easy life, but have a number of wifi devices which are a PITA to change.

5 REPLIES 5

Portery
Fibre optic

You can now do it on the connect app when you have connected to your hub using the app click on broadband at the bottom and once you are on the page you will see a plus in the top right click on that and you will see options click on network and you will get the option to change the name of the network and password

Thanks Portery, tried the connect app but when I click on the Broadband button,  it says it cant find the hub. The help says to restart the hub, close the app etc, which I've tried, but still not connecting. 

Overall, the VM experience has so far been pretty poor. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @MiloO 

Use a web browser and log into the hub interface. 

192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode

The go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security >

You can then alter the WiFi Network Name (SSID) and the WiFi password (security key)

If you click on the question mark icon next to each field you will see a pop up box explaining which characters can be used and the minimum/maximum length allowed.

Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click Apply changes.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks newapollo, the problem is the hub4 wifi password criteria requires a number and upper case character. My old BT password is all lowercase and I wanted to keep it the same to save the hassle of changing all my devices.

Hi MiloO

Thanks for posting in regards to your Hub 4 and wireless network password, to ensure we're making everything as secure as possible we ask for a mixture of characters for the password. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Rob