cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just upgraded to Hub5 and now can't access family website on a server in my DMZ!!

DavidCombes
On our wavelength

Folks,

Prior to upgrading to a Hub5 a few days ago, I had a small family website successfully operating on a home server in my DMZ, with a No-IP domain constantly pointing at the hub's external IP, and the website could be successfully accessed internally (from other devices and the server) and externally using the domain url.

Since upgrading to the Hub5 (and having re-configured the DMZ and other settings), the website is still accessible externally, but it is no longer accessible internally using the domain url from any device including the server - the requests just timeout (ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT).

Looking at the Apache logs on the server (having set Apache logging to 'trace4'), there is no evidence that the request is getting to the server.

In an effort to diagnose this issue, I created a new website for a different domain name containing just an index.html file, enabled just this site in Apache, and got the same results - accessible externally but not internally.

Turning off the firewall in the Hub5 makes no difference.

So my question is, does the Hub5 have a bug in how it handles traffic that originates from the Hub5 and is destined back to the same Hub5 (to go to the DMZ), as this is the conclusion I must draw from this situation!

Please get this message to the Hub5 tech support team, as I am unable to maintain my website at present!

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Yes VM don't want to support NAT loopback you will need to use your own router and hub in modem mode.

or you can setup a DNS server and have domain name point to your LAN IP

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Yes VM don't want to support NAT loopback you will need to use your own router and hub in modem mode.

or you can setup a DNS server and have domain name point to your LAN IP

Thanks Alessandro, I guessed it might be something like that.

I have sort of followed your suggestion and made-do with edits to host files; not ideal, but sufficient as a work-around.

Or make another No-IP domain and list the LAN IP

I did think of doing that but thought it strange (and wondered if it would work) to put a non-routing IP in a No-IP domain; but I will give it a go - thanks.

Looks like VM have fixed the NAT Loopback issue, as all clients on my home network can now browse to our personal website on the DMZ - thanks VM.

However, another (less significant) issue has arisen!  The No-IP entry I created to point to the internal IP address of our server (as a solution for accessing the website internally) worked initially, but now no longer works (DNS refuses to give an answer). Yet if I use DNS tools on my phone using mobile data, I can see that the name does resolve to the internal IP address.  So it looks like the VM DNS servers/ Routers are refusing to serve a private IP address. Not an issue for me, as I no longer need this to work, but doubt that this is how the VM network should operate?