cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just switched over to Virgin, we get amazing speeds sitting up to 220mb/s but every 20/30minutes or so th

kdog98
Joining in

Just switched over to Virgin, we get amazing speeds sitting up to 220mb/s but every 20/30minutes or so the speed either disconnects or drops to ~2mbs then sits at 20-30mb/s before jumping back up temporarily and repeat.

This happens across all my devices, my laptop is plugged in via Ethernet and my phone&ps4 experience the same issues across the Wifi Network

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Was it "self-install" or a Tech install?   In any case.... first thing is to check the connections.

Switch the Hub off for 5 minutes AND unplug it from the mains. Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends or loose wires on the connectors . Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box. Then switch it on again and leave 5 minutes.

See if that stabilises it

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Engineer install

tried all that no joy

only wired is fast

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes, ethernet speeds are guaranteed, and wifi ones arent.

So are ethernet connections all nice and stable with no fluctuations and the issues are just on wifi?

If so first check out the "wifi wins" posts on the right hand side of this forum. See if anything in there helps first.

You will only get fast speeds on wifi on the 5GHz band - so if the devices are defaulting to the 2.4 one they will be low.

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" and smart wifi and apply and save the settings.

All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂
To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are only free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - which isnt you I think?

If so you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @kdog98

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How are you getting on with your connection today?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Much the same 32 wireless instead of 200

SOunds like you need to get your own router and put the hub in Modem mode!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

I don’t want to spend more

money can’t virgin sort something out disks or summit

Yup - but unless you are on the Ultimate Oomph or 1Gb/s packages, they cost £5 per month and you are only renting them! - Over 18 months it is cheaper to get your own router!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Any brand you recommend