cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got Gig1 how to get a hub 5

Rodney634
Joining in

Hi Folks!

I just upgraded about 9 months into a 500 contract to gig1. The wifi coverage on this hub 4 has allways been pretty shocking and all the ethernet ports only support up to 1g so to get the full value out of my package i would need the 12.50 port and the wifi 6. I have tried the chatbot and phoning them but can't seem to get an answer so trying here to see if anyone knows or a member of staff at virgin can help me!

Cheers.

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

We are not at the point where you can get 1Gb and get hub 5 as VM see no reason to given you hub 5 where many on older kit need upgrading first.

If your looking for better wifi VM don't care as long as you get 940Mb by wire your good but you can get your own router and use hub in modem mode if needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

unisoft
Well-informed

Upgrading or new customer should now be with a HUB5 for 1gbps. You'll have to argue to get it though.

There should be no reason why somebody else on the same service gets benefit of Wifi AX and a better hub, along with 2.5gbps capable WAN port for utilising WAN speed in full (if you have your own router with capable above 1gbps ethernet ports or a switch with > 1gbps ethernet ports). That would be in my reasoning along with  gentle reminder that end of contract options will be around in 9 months anyway.....

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Why should 1Gb get wifi 6 in front of all others?  I could argue I need wifi 6 for my LAN kit, but not necessarily for the WAN side.   Also there is a lot of "hidden" costs associated when reaching over 1Gb speeds, as you have noted.  One user on here was quite shocked at the costs needed to get the necessary switches and full wifi 6 kit etc.  At these costs, one might as well bite the bullet go for fibre installations in the home  🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Rodney634 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of any WiFi issues, the Hub 4 should be fine for the speed you have however. 

Please try the Connect App When downloaded, you'll be able to run a wireless scan in the property. This will identify and optimise any coverage issues. If any Pods are needed, you'll be prompted to order.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill