cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's too complicated

Deiniol
Joining in

I've been with virigin broadband since moving into my house 6 years ago (10 years befor that at a previous address).  Wi-fi has worked fine for those 6 years.  Over the last few months, it has been dropping out intermittently but frequently, a few times a day.

I have re-set the hub multiple times.  I have accessed online test that found a fault which then told me to come back in 24 hours to redo the test to see if the fault was still there and if it was then an engineer would be booked.  I came back in 72 hours and did the test and it then told me to come back in 24 hours.

I have accessed a bot via the chat function who told me to rest the hub.

I phoned a premium number help line and spoke to a bot who ran a test and found a fault then told me to come back in 24 hours and if the fault was found an engineer would be booked but I am away from home in 24 hours.

I went to the forum for help but it was technical and jargony.

I do not want to know how my broadband works.  I do not want to be an expert.  I just want it to work.  I pay £60 a month (the most expensive utility to bill I have) and I just want Virign to fix it.

Virign media has become too big.  It's cutomer services is overly complicated and lacks a human interface.  Richard Branson (the great British entrepreneur who does not pay tax in the UK and who's only virtue is that he is not Rupert Murdock) sort it out!

I want to book an engineer now!

19 REPLIES 19

Hi @g0akc 

Whilst I have you here, if I am reading this right, you have a hub 2 as well?  Is this a personal choice?  Have you previously had a hub 3 and returned to the 2?  Or is it a case of

"If it's not broke, don't fix it?"  

Regards

Lee

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Lee_R wrote:

Hi @g0akc 

Whilst I have you here, if I am reading this right, you have a hub 2 as well?  Is this a personal choice?  Have you previously had a hub 3 and returned to the 2?  Or is it a case of

"If it's not broke, don't fix it?"  

Regards

Lee

I have a hub 3 - used in modem mode with my own router.

I was offered a hub 4 but haven’t bothered with that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Sorry.  For my confusion there @g0akc  And to be honest if your hub 3 is doing what you want it to do, then there's no need for the change.

Regards

Lee

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Lee_R wrote:

Sorry.  For my confusion there @g0akc  And to be honest if your hub 3 is doing what you want it to do, then there's no need for the change.

Regards

Lee

I know.  I would only change if I wanted the 1GHz offering, or if there was a utilization issue, which I'm not aware of.

I did get an email inviting me to take a hub 4 'upgrade' which seemed to be more about marketing - it mentioned Wi-Fi 'improvements', despite me using my own solutions.  I declined it.

If there is an issue in my area which drove that invite, please get someone to explain that to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

@g0akc I wouldn't know about any issues in your area without accessing your account.

Usually the proactive offers of a hub 4 are more around availability of the equipment itself in the area in question.

Regards

Lee

I have the same hub that I had 6 years ago.  I am assuming it's a hub 2.

It should say on the bottom.

Just invert the hub and see what it says!

Remember to put the hub back down the right way up though!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

It is a hub 2

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Deiniol,

Thanks for getting back in touch. I'd be happy to take a further look at the problems that you're having with your connection.

I'll just need to confirm a few details with you via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

ReactUK
On our wavelength

Pre RS are fine, high but fine.

Post RS should have been fixed up by the router, but weren't.

Its an error checking and correction algorithm to make sure you don't get fed crap info, I can almost place bets on it being a cable outside of the building. You should request an engineer to do end to mid and end to end test. You will have a break out part way down the street/outside the house.

I have my own kit to test cables etc and it took me connecting to the coax inside and sending crap down to VMs end of the cable (outside building to street) and telling them there was serious issues on their own cable despite them denying it. Get a decent engineer out to do those tests, you literally have to scream at them to get this done.

Post RS errors are bad, no matter how you look at it, but reboot your box and see how many you have after 24 hours. If its back to the 1000+ on more than 1 or 2 of them, its going to be their cabling. If I can find the photo of the cable they cut out and reterminated I'll post it, but it was an old brass type corroded lump of mess.

Don't let them fob you off. I was lucky enough to be a network engineer and have access to the relevant kit, if you are close to PE postcodes, I'd be happy to come and test for you and give you the useful hammer to hit VM with.