cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with hub 5

MikeGSD
Tuning in

I was offered the SH5 2 weeks ago, Before that I was using SH3 ever since using the hub 5 I have had issue with WIFI reception.

I thought the hub 3 and firmware issue were bad but this hub 5 is even worse.

I have just upgraded from m200 to m500 and as for speeds I cannot complain as hardwired from hub 5 the pc was getting 860mbps.

The issue is with WIFI, I ran tests on both 2g / 5g and results are as followed :

5g

PC hardwired office 720mbps
M s21 in office 580mbps
V s21 in office 570mbps
M s21 downstairs 140mbps
V s21 downstairs 120mpbs
Km2 box downstairs 80mbps
Laptop downstairs 90mbps
Shield box upstairs next to office 130mbps

2g

M s21 in office 93mbps
V s21 in office 90mbps
M s21 downstairs 17mbps
V s21 downstairs 18mpbs
Km2 box downstairs 5mbps
Laptop downstairs 95mbps
Shield box upstairs next to office 155mbps
kids xbox upstairs 70.93mbps

s21 phones outside near the road 2g 40mbps 5g 240mbps

I tried using my old powerline adapters, tl-wpa4220 kit / av500 and av600 barely work and push out 50 - 60mbps

So I went out and purchased the Deco m5 3 kit, main deco in office connected to modem, 1 in master bedroom and 1 downstairs and could only get speeds of 150 - 160mbps the fact I should be getting close to 400 - 500 i decided the £160 investment was not worth it, and sent them back for a refund.

I have rang virgin so many times spending hours in the queue only for the advisors to drop the calls, informed me there system was down and they needed 50mins for there systems to reboot and finally was told an engineer would ring me back and didn't.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@MikeGSD 

They have changed nothing, there appears to be a fundamental issue with the Hub 5, frankly it is (or at least some of them are) riddled with bugs, failure to support certain features, VPN issues etc.

Certainly you one you have is ‘not fit for purpose’, not, of course, anyone from VM will admit to - understandably as they have jobs to look after.

Call in and demand they replace it with an earlier model say a 4, don’t bother with the normal call centre drones and go straight to the ‘thinking of leaving us’ option. Tell them that you have been supplied with sub standard equipment with known faults, and you were absolutely not made aware of that you were part of a ‘trial’ testing new equipment which is not fit for purpose and that you want it replaced with an earlier hub. If they refuse then request a deadlock letter and say that you will be escalating this to the industry regulator.

Then post back here as to what the response was, if it isn’t to your liking, or they try to fob you off, then we can advise what your best course of action is.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
What’s the issue? Those wireless speeds look about right.

Did you set the deco system up correctly putting the hub into modem mode?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Wireless its in the name and you expect too much.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Those speeds are very poor compared to when I had SH3 in modem and using archer c1200 with powerlines I was close to my m200 package. Now upgrading to m500 I expect to see higher results if not then I suppose I should cancel my upgrade package. After reading around on the forums If I took the m500 shouldn't I be offered the SH4 instead of this crappy SH5?

Yes the deco system was set correctly,  My only issue was the speeds coming from the decos, and some devices would bounce onto the wrong deco at times, I did play with settings and even tried messing around with the Qos settings.  

Well yes. You were using a better quality router with the hub3 (the archer).

The virgin hubs have poor Wi-Fi output in their own.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @MikeGSD,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post, and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some ongoing speed issues with your Hub at the moment.

Have you taken a look at our Speed Up page to see if this can help with your ongoing issue? 

I was able to look further into our systems, and I cannot see any issues that could be impacting your services at the moment.

Are you able to run a speed test with a wired Ethernet connection, so we know what speeds your Hub is receiving? 

Let us know if possible.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina, thanks for getting back to me. 

You asked if I could run a speed test with an ethernet connection, this clearly goes to show you have not read my original post as I clearly stated I already did this and supplied the speeds hardwired using a ethernet. 

My issue is with the hub 5 wifi reception. I was sent the hub 5 for free before I upgraded to the m500 package.

On other posts people who upgraded to m500 was given the hub 4.  

Can I not send this hub 5 back and get the hub 4? , Or will I have to cancel my upgrade as I am still within my 14 days.  

Hey @MikeGSD,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you're having at the moment with your connection, I have checked our systems and cannot see any issues that could be causing the problems that you're having with your connection and nothing in the local area as well.

I have been able to look into our system and change a few things with your setup, please can you let me know if this make any difference throughout your day and come back to let me know, how it goes.

Regards,

Steven_L

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Steven_L wrote:

I have checked our systems and cannot see any issues that could be causing the problems that you're having with your connection and nothing in the local area as well.

Why would your system know about wifi problems?

---------------------------------------------------------------

What have you changed on your system ? 

Everytime I log into router I get the following error now: I cannot access WiFi settings or WiFi security.

HTTP Error 500 "Internal Server Error"Close

Internal server error: Error: Unrecognised CCSP wifi channel width parameter "Auto" Stack: Error: Unrecognised CCSP wifi channel width parameter "Auto" at getAPIChannelWidth (/www/jse/library/wifi.js:343) at getWiFiRadioSettingsFromValues (/www/jse/library/wifi.js:731) at getWiFiConfig (/www/jse/library/wifi.js:843) at [anon] (/www/jse/rest/v1/wifi/config.js:49) tailcall at global (/www/rest/front.jse:369) preventsyield (0)

Cancel