cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Hub 3 and Sonos Playbase

pjm1978
Joining in

Hello everyone! Hoping to get some help here. Having issues with Playbase randomly dropping out / not being found / being found but unable to set up. I think Pkaybase is faulty as no issues with any other devices and done every Sonos fix I can find. However, they want me to check this with Virgin:
 1) Check if 2.4GHz WiFi is on.
 2) If possible, give 5GHz WiFi a different name than the 2.4 variant. For example, add "-5G" to the name.
 3) Check if the WiFi mode is set to "BGN". Other options are often BG and GN.
 4) The "AP Isolation" (or "Client Isolation") setting must be off. (This setting is rarely available)
 5) Adjust the WiFi channel from automatic to channel 1, 6 or 11.
 6) The security mode must be set to WPA2 with AES Encryption.
 7) Turn on UPNP if it is off.
 😎 Make sure the 2.4GHz WiFi bandwidth is 20MHz, 20 / 40MHz or 40MHz is not supported
 9) Set DNS server to primary 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4
 10) Enable multicast

Know the answers to some of these but I assume 1) I have to login to the settings site to check or change things (192...etc) and 2) changes could mess up other devices? Not a novelist but the jargon is over my head so welcome help from anyone with similar issues or better yet a fix! Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes you will need to poke about n the hub settings to locate the features you want to change. I am not sure about some of them. But see what you can find. Some changes (renaming the 2.4/5 GHz bands for example will mess up other devices (but is a good thing IMHO 🙂 ).

Similar issues are usually resolved by starting up from scratch with the Hub3 put into modem only mode and using your own better quality/specified/modifiable wireless router

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes you will need to poke about n the hub settings to locate the features you want to change. I am not sure about some of them. But see what you can find. Some changes (renaming the 2.4/5 GHz bands for example will mess up other devices (but is a good thing IMHO 🙂 ).

Similar issues are usually resolved by starting up from scratch with the Hub3 put into modem only mode and using your own better quality/specified/modifiable wireless router

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John. I do have a mesh but Sonos insist on the above steps before giving me any more help. The Playbase has the same issues using the mesh. Tried Hub in modem mode, both on WiFi same name, both on WiFi different name, nesh with cable etc etc and tried with mesh off just Hub. Playbase just keeps failing. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Mesh system do you have?

In modem mode, with it doing all the heavy lifting, all of those changes would be in the Mesh's router rather than the Hub's. That should be more straightforward

--------------------
John
--------------------