cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isn’t this more a modem issue?

Tomdawes2000
Just joined

Yesterday my broadband started intermittently dropping out. 

Today failing completely 

Been running Gigabit with 3x access points fine for 12 months 

Done a router factory reset and now unable to log back into router on original SSID with all AP’s turned off, can sit and watch it cycle on Mac and keeps disconnecting. 

Occasionally gets to login page then fails

Tried re connecting APs and they are saying internet not reacheable 

Rang Virgin initially they said it was my Wifi coverage but then explained how my setup was fine they then decided a network fault and should rectify within 24 hrs if not ring them back.

But the fact I cannot get into the router would suggest more of a router issue surely? 

Just want to reset SSID to previous so all my devices try recconnect to router with the AP’s turned off etc.

Any other suggestions? as I don’t believe it to be a network issue.

Ta

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 If you have a VM landline 150 this goes down to post code level. You could also try the web page http://www.virginmedia.com/servicechecker

If no faults found:

Call Customer Services on 0345 454 1111/150 if you have a VM landline or wait a day or two for a VM staff member to get to your post.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Tomdawes2000,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you've had some issues with your connection. 

I've been able to check things from our side and can see that any short-term connectivity issues have now been resolved.

How have things been since you posted?

Alex_Rm

g0akc
Problem sorter

If this is still an issue try connecting via Ethernet - and see if you can reach the hub management pages at 192.168.0.01

Sometimes if a hub/wireless router is very busy trying to reconnect to a faulty broadband line it can be difficult to connect to, particularly over WiFi.

There are various other things to try.  

Do you actually see the original SSID being broadcast?  It's there in the scanned AP network names on you device, or with an analyser app?

Do you get an IP address at the device? - usually shown in the network settings

Can you ping the hub?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!