cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this stopping me getting 1GB speeds

DnB_lover
Joining in

Hi,

this is my first forum post so I hope someone can help me? 

I have been with VM for years with a steady 500mbps connection without issue but in Oct 22 I was upgraded to a 1GB connection with a new Hub 5. The Hub 5 is in modem mode connected to TP link deco mesh network. 

No matter what time or what I do I have never been able to achieve 1GB speeds. The closest I’ve got is 800mbps.

Could this filter on the main line into the house be restricting my internet speeds?

image.jpg

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Welcome to the forum. 

That metal box is normal and has no effect on speed.

How are you testing your speed? Best to do it via ethernet. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Welcome to the forum. 

That metal box is normal and has no effect on speed.

How are you testing your speed? Best to do it via ethernet. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DnB_lover wrote:

Hi,

this is my first forum post so I hope someone can help me? 

I have been with VM for years with a steady 500mbps connection without issue but in Oct 22 I was upgraded to a 1GB connection with a new Hub 5. The Hub 5 is in modem mode connected to TP link deco mesh network. 

No matter what time or what I do I have never been able to achieve 1GB speeds. The closest I’ve got is 800mbps.

Could this filter on the main line into the house be restricting my internet speeds?

image.jpg

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks 

That is a safety isolator, not a filter. Think of it like a fuse in an electrical circuit. It protects Virgin's & your own connected equipment from electrical surges down the cable. The insertion loss is only 0.5dB, so it will not affect your services in any way.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

Most folks would consider 800Mb/s via WiFi as excellent.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Limited by your mesh and or device

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ok thanks for confirming it’s normal.

I will try running a few speed tests directly from the hub to see if that gives me a better result. 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi DnB_lover, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

I see the community have been able to help you with your question regarding the equipment which is great 🙂 

We just wanted to swing by and see if you have been able to run speed tests on both wired and wireless devices?

Thanks, 

Nat