cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media not available on my street but my entire town has it

harrison_rowe
On our wavelength

I am approaching the 5 year mark since me (and my neighbours) initially registered for the cable my street programme for virgin media services. We have not been given any notice at all which I find frustrating. 

I have checked the virgin media availability (as well as walking around the street checking the virgin media street furniture (cabinets) to further my personal investigation with virgin media services) and we are the only street without these services. This is outrageous as Virgin Media is very fast and reliable with their services and we have been isolated from them. Our street was built in 2001 (before Virgin Media was installed) and there have been other streets that have been built after Virgin Media services have been instlaled, yet they are also connected to the network. 

To further my frustation, openreach are unable to provide us with FTTP and our VDSL connections  are rubbish at ~30mbps being the average on my street (this is because our closest cabinet is not close or efficient for high speed broadband because of the line length).

The only way that we will be able to get high speed broadband any time soon is with the installation of Virgin Media Services, if anyone has contact with the people that install the Virgin Media Services, could they please point them in the direction of considering installing their services in my area, it's not even a difficult job as there is a big Cabinet (not the sub ones that are scattered down the streets) at the bottom of the street so it would not be difficult to tunnel cables to the residents of my street.

HRowe
20 REPLIES 20

Three offer a 5G home broadband deal that includes a Router:

https://www.three.co.uk/store/broadband/home-broadband?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzeSdBhC4ARIsACj36u...

£10/month for the first six months then £20/month thereafter (Unlimited data).

30 day money back guarentee also if you find the speed isn't great.

There is also an option to fit external antennas to improve the signal.

harrison_rowe
On our wavelength

It’s coming up to the 5th anniversary that virgin media has IGNORED my request for virgin media services. I rang them up today asking for answers and they said that there would be no way I would get Virgin installed at all / in the short future. I am getting frustrated with broadband and Virgin Media is the only resolution to shocking broadband. Broadband is a necessity in 2023, like a 4th essential utility after water, heat and electric. And the fact that I am stuck with the same cables that are used to send / receive telephone calls from the 2000s (my BT line can handle up to 36mbps). I resorted to trying out 5g home broadband, well that was a rollercoaster. The experience kept getting better, until last week when it plummeted to the fact that I have to use my mobile hotspot (on another provider) sometimes because the service keeps cutting out. I think i’m going to get grey hairs early 🤣

Is there any way Virgin can install to my house / street as a special request, etc or have a contractor to do it. How would I be able to do that? 

For example there are businesses on my street that would benefit from Virgin and the fact that Virgin just forgets about us and says “it’s not feesable” outrages them as how are they struggle on the slow speeds that we get. 

All i’m asking is that this post gets attention from Virgin Media themselves so they can see how unfair this seems (as well as the amount of extra customers (and ££) they COULD get instead of being ignorant. And if they still say no, how am I able to get a special request to get it installed myself!! (yes that is how desperate I am 🤣)

Any help welcome / appreciated, experienced or not. 🙂

HRowe

As you have FTTC coverage it is quite possible that Openreach FTTP services will arrive first.

i checked the map for where and when openreach will be upgrading to FTTP and it said that there are no plans at all, furthermore i asked about FTTP from openreach as a special install and they said that they can not do it. I am stuck in this frustrating circle.

HRowe

I understand your frustration. 

Here it VM RFoG or BT ADSL (long phone lines so 1.5 / 0.5 Mb/s) , no FTTC. 

Openreach have a small patch of FTTP on telegraph poles only 5 mins walk from here and again have no plans to extend the coverage to the rest of the village.

I'll give you a short story just to set expectations of what this might entail.

About ten years of so ago (just to give an idea of how much the prices will have changed), I had a client who were based in a really nice converted set of farm building in Kent. Lovely working environment, quiet, you could take your lunch out into the attached fields, lay down and watch the kestrels. The problem of course was internet connectivity, now although you could literally go up onto the roof and see the nearest large town, which did have good connectivity, they were quoted half a million pounds to have fibre laid to their site! I remember talking to their CEO who asked me what could be done, and I said, 'well frankly Jane, you need to move the company to Docklands! Other than that, you need to put up with what you have'.

The cost is the digging up and making good afterwards, not the cost of the fibre itself, which is pennies. In the case above it meant tearing up a lot of farmer's fields and crops, it being all arable, who weren't happy about it, and absolutely would go legal on it.

So based on that, what might it cost VM to dig up the roads and pavements to provide connectivity to you when they can't be sure of ever, ever getting that money back?

If Openreach have no immediate plans to install FTTP in your area then that probably says something about the circumstances in your area - have you considered moving?

harrison_rowe
On our wavelength

Having sent my previous post, I spoke to other people on my street about their thoughts on Virgin Media on my street. They agree that it's a good idea, meaning that there is a demand for Virgin Media to be installed on my street. I request that someone at VM to take a look at installing on my street (PM if you would like info) and I hope that you take the courteous decision of approving it.

We all agree that VM to be installed is a good idea, is that we will all benefit from the higher bandwidth that it can provide, in addition FTTP providers have no plans to upgrade the copper infrastructure and we are getting restless and frustrated about the slow speeds that Openreach provide for us. We have all complained about our broadband to our ISP's and Openreach at least three times on our street and they try their best, but they can't do anything to raise the S@#! speeds we receive.

HRowe

Having sent my previous post, I spoke to other people on my street about their thoughts on Virgin Media on my street. They agree that it's a good idea, meaning that there is a demand for Virgin Media to be installed on my street. I request that someone at VM to take a look at installing on my street (PM if you would like info) and I hope that you take the courteous decision of approving it.

We all agree that VM to be installed is a good idea, is that we will all benefit from the higher bandwidth that it can provide, in addition FTTP providers have no plans to upgrade the copper infrastructure and we are getting restless and frustrated about the slow speeds that Openreach provide for us. We have all complained about our broadband to our ISP's and Openreach at least three times on our street and they try their best, but they can't do anything to raise the S#@! speeds we receive.

HRowe

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How long has VM been in your area? If it was installed in the last couple of years there is a small chance of you getting connected. If it was installed years ago you have no chance in the near future, as any fibre overbuild of the non expandable legacy HFC infrastructure the neighbouring streets are using will almost certainly bust the budget. If you have had a “no” response to your numerous previous posts on the subject, this is not going to change.

The only hope you have is when Virgin introduces its XGS-PON services in a few years time.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Virgin has been installed for decades now, but after my street was built. I can't seem to think why they left us out. There is a large VM street cabinet at the end of my street (opposite a roundabout) also, I don't know if that would raise my chances. I don't know how full it is though. 

I would assume if there is more of a demand on my street than just me (there is around  16 extra (out of 57 total houses)  that said they have registered since the last time I asked if it could be installed on my street), that there would be a chance that they would install it?

HRowe