cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a Wifi device limit?

Alexj17
Tuning in

Hi

I am having issues with my wifi in my new house.

I have several devices throughout my house all connected to wifi. Each has worked fine at some point and does often. 

But, what I am finding is randomly the odd device will lose connection and when trying to connect back again its saying password if wrong or there is no internet connect despite the other devices working. 

I have a TV, Apple TV, iPad a few phones and laptop.

The most notable issue is every time I open my laptop it wont connect and I have to turn the wifi on and off again on my laptop before it will connect. Not sure its connected but then it might disconnect a TV which is why im asking if there is a limit on how many devices can be set on a network?

Thanks
Alex

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model do you have? Are all your devices Apple?

What are connections like on the laptop if you connect it directly into the Hub on an ethernet cable?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is not a simple answer to your prime question. Basically VM hubs are notorious in having problems with WiFi as they are a cheap consumer product built down to a price. They should be able to run the number of devices you listed, but a lot depends on the distance from the hub and the amount of data they are sending. As WiFi devices keep a constant “keep alive” with the hub and as the hub can only process one device at a time you get retries and then some dropped packets and the device loses contact. A lot of people, myself included, have invested in their own network equipment and run the VM hub in modem mode, a task they do very well. I’ve had over 40 WiFi devices on my network without any problems. If you are only getting problems with WiFi devices that’s the area to look, VM do supply pods for WiFi free if you are on the top package or £5 per month if not. The total cost of the pods really means you should invest in your own network equipment. 
If you are having problems on Ethernet connected devices we can help you to check out your circuit. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2