cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the super hub 4 faster in modem or not?

Donnydev42069
Joining in

Hello all,

I'm debating whether to buy a separate router instead of using my super hub 4 my question is, is it faster in modem mode? Compared to default?

Saves me buying a new router 🙂

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

The speeds will be as per your package.

But the Wifi output (and therefore Wifi speeds) will be quicker on a third-party router or mesh system, yes. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

The speeds will be as per your package.

But the Wifi output (and therefore Wifi speeds) will be quicker on a third-party router or mesh system, yes. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What speeds are you hoping to attain on what package?

There wont be much difference over a straight ethernet connection it will be ~ the same.

But do you mean over wifi? If so the Hub4 is not wifi6 enabled. So if you have wifi6 capable equipment (e.g. newer Macbooks, iPhones and others) then getting your own wifi6 router will benefit those devices on wifi.  Also the Hub4 is not really a decent  quality piece of wifi equipment and so any better quality wireless router ought to (would!) outperform it - particularly as distance from the Hub/router increases

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Nothing in particular was just curious if the speed out is different in modem mode compared to default I'm connect via ethernet right now but just curious

The answer is not straightforward.

The Hub 4 can run at up to 2.5 Gbps (VM did a limited trial a while back at this speed as I recall), and in normal use on a 1 Gbps connection can achieve 1170 Mbps.  But that's always constrained at a device level because the cheapskates who specified the Hub 4 equipped it with 1 Gbps ports and 802.11ac wireless.  What that means is that in router mode, the Hub 4 can achieve up to 1.17 Gbps, spread across more than one device in any combination that you like, but can only achieve a peak device speed of 1 Gbps for any ethernet device, and around 600 Mbps for any wireless device (heavily dependent upon the device itself, some go higher, most are lower).  

If you run the Hub 4 in modem mode, then your router only gets the 1 Gbps from a single ethernet port, so (potentially) you're starting off 15% down on the total speed that the Hub 4 in router mode could achieve from aggregated devices.  Your "per device" limits will then depend on the LAN port speeds, and the wifi protocol it uses.  A decent third party router will often outperform the pound shop router built in to the Hub 4, but there's been a modest number of odd problems reported in the forum where Hub 4's struggle to achieve good output speeds to a third party router.

So which is faster?  It all depends.  Choose what works for you - as a general rule I'd expect using a third party router would be better because the Hub 4's wifi is unexceptional.

Some (expensive) routers support link aggregation & 2.5g ethernet ports.

So you would take 2 ethernet cables from the hub4 in modem mode.

Those would go to the 3rd party router.

They would have to be set up to be linked with the 3rd party router.

Then finally you would use the 2.5g ethernet port on your 3rd party router to connect to your device (that would also need to be 2.5 capable).

Or wifi 6.

Bit of a faf, but can be done.

This one would work, I think.

https://www.netgear.com/uk/home/wifi/routers/rax200/

Or this...

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/RT-AX86U/

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Some (expensive) routers support link aggregation & 2.5g ethernet ports.” And some support 10g, mine does.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Very nice, but probably overkill for someone just trying to get the most out of their 1 gig line.