Menu
lisaclio
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is my router ready for the scrap heap?

My router isn’t playing ball no more. I have a wired home network that has all the things such as PS4, TVs, sky boxes and Cctv hooked up too and wireless devices are only iPads and phones. My home network was working just fine minus having to unplug the router and plug it back in when the lease for the IP address switches over so it stopped my sky boxes working. When I unplugged it my routers settings such as my own password and network name worked how it should. 

Now when I unplug my router and plug it in it resets itself to factory and won’t work until I go through the setup process again, it kicks off all devices, it’s dropping the internet every day now and I’m having to reconnect things back to the internet. It’s a pain, does anyone have any ideas? 

0 Kudos
Cookiemonster79
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is my router ready for the scrap heap?

Hi Lisaclio,

When you say your router you mean your Virgin Superhub...? If so then it does sound like you will have to call virgin and get a engineer out to have a look at the hub and replace it as it does sound like it has a issue.

Cookie says :- Thats the way the cookie crumbles...
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

All the hubs seem to have this issue its unclear why it even happens.

If you can't trust the hub then put it in modem mode and get your own router with 1Gb ports.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What hub model is it? If a Hub3 try this. Do a pinhole reset to factory settings. Push in the pin on the back/side/bottom of the Hub with the end of a paperclip until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold for a "timed" 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Your passwords/passphrase for both Hub and Wifi will revert to those printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/drawer.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
lisaclio
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I’ve done the factory reset. Think I will just get a decent router and just put it into modem mode. 

Was thinking of doing this but I shouldn’t have to spend extra money on a router and should just work as a router should. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi lisaclio

Thanks for the message, can you do the pin hole reset and add one device to see if you are getting the same issue? 

Thanks Chris 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Chris_W1 wrote:

Hi lisaclio

Thanks for the message, can you do the pin hole reset and add one device to see if you are getting the same issue? 

Thanks Chris 

@Chris_W1  - poster says in an earlier post - I’ve done the factory reset.

i always bow to knowledge but would you explain how adding one device to see if the issue continues proves anything

have you looked at the levels are they ok - have you checked the area for any faults - if so is all good

Tony
0 Kudos