cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to change my external IP address? If so, then how?

streetkings123
Joining in

Basically I made a short video tutorial about how to download a VPN app for chrome, and I didn't realise that my IP address was showing on the app until later when I rewatched the video. Only problem is the video was watched by loads of viewers and most likely downloaded too. I'm not talking about the internal IP address that looks like 192.168.0.1 etc etc, its the one called 'External IP address'. Its also called 'IPv4' address apparently but whenever I run cmd and > ipconfig /all my IPv4 shows up as a 192.168 address, however when I google 'WhatIsMyIP' it always comes up differently, like it did on the VPN app... weird. The IPv4 one in Command Prompt doesn't seem to be displaying the same one from the VPN app, or whenever I visit a 'WhatIsMyIP' site.

Anyways is it possible to change this external IP address? If I contact Virgin Media customer support on the phone would they be able to change it? Ive already tried turning off my router for 20 mins and putting it back on but the IP address remained the same, it didn't change. 

I have a Super Hub 3, if that helps. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Normally nothing bad will happen and VM will not change your IP.

If you must change your IP use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @streetkings123

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us 🙂 

Apologies, pubic IP addresses cannot be changed. If you wish to mask your IP address, I'd advise connecting to a VPN, or as advised by legacy1, use the Hub in modem mode. 

Any further questions, please just pop them on this thread and we'll happily advise further. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide