Menu
Shrewdmove
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Is it possible (or sensible) to add a second router?

Hi all,

My VM fibre router is in a new extension and therefore I suffer both from poor wifi in the rest of the house (2 external walls to get through) and the inability to use power line adapters as extension is on a separate ring. I was wondering if it was possible to either split the fibre coming into my house and rerouting or potentially, the easier option, taking a Cat 5 cable from the current router and running outside the house and then back into the "old" part.  I'm just not sure what would be the best way of terminating the cable. Could I add another router?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.  I do have TP link dual band boosters but they aren't proving much cop.

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is it possible (or sensible) to add a second router?

Take the second option (running a cat5e/cat6 cable from the current location to where you want better wifi) but rather than installing a second router, install an access point - no routing functions, just provides wifi. 

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Running the cable would be better. If you need Wifi connectivity you can hook the other end up to a wireless access point.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Easiest and by far the cheapest is for you to run ethernet cable - not Cat5 though use Cat5e or 6/7 for better shielding - from the Hub to a wireless access point in the house. Get one with GB ports so you can also connect ethernet devices to it  Something like this....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-AC2000-Wireless-Access-WAC124-100UKS/dp/B01N47QKDQ/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Shrewdmove
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for the prompt response, it really is appreciated.  Can you please give some pointers as to what I should buy for the access point?  Thanks again,

Brian

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

See message 4 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Shrewdmove
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary,

You seem to share the general consensus - looks like I'll run the cable!

Thanks for taking the time to respond,

Brian 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Shrewdmove wrote:

Thank you so much for the prompt response, it really is appreciated.  Can you please give some pointers as to what I should buy for the access point?  Thanks again,

Brian

really depends how much you want to spend - prices start at about £30 but can get into the hundreds.

I use unifi access points - they have been incredibly reliable for the years I've had them installed, but anything from Asus, TP-Link, Netgear should be fine.. 

Shrewdmove
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response and for the link, I'm blown away by the support here!

Thanks again,

Brian

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you cannot split the VM cable and have 2 hubs - you can certainly add a 3rd party router - the normal way is to put the hub into modem mode and add the new router but from your description that defeats the object as you would lose wifi on the hub

so an ethernet cable from the hub to wherever you want - connect to a 3rd party router - on that router turn off DHCP and change its ip addy to 192.168.0.xxx and you have the hub 3 working as is and the new router working as is - you can name the ssid's the same on the hub and the router and have the same passwords and wifi devices should work and change to the best signal or have different ssid's and log onto which hub/router you want

Tony