cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is everyone having wifi problems?

agistchau
Joining in

For a while now the wifi in my house has been absolute dog **bleep**e, so we got a new router and its still terrible, it cuts off many many times during the day and no device can hold a stable connection. Is it because so many people are using wifi because of the lockdown? or is virgin wifi just that crap. We've been with virgin for years and to be fair, to answer my own question, i do believe its just **bleep**.

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you judge by any help forum, 99.5% or thereabouts of all posts are of problems.  But as VM have over 5 million customers, all the problems here are a minority.  Starting from a "VM is ****e" analysis I've not got a lot to work with....

Wifi is only that last little bit from the hub (or a third party router if you use one) to your wireless devices, and I'm not sure if that's the problem, or that all internet connectivity is pants?  Wifi can be a problem, but usually seen as low consistent low speeds and poor wifi reach, and the solution to these sits in your hands, not VMs.  If the problem is on the broadband side of things, and is down to a poor connection between the hub and VM's network, that's usually easily fixed, but you'll need to help identify whether that applies, and to do that you'll need to follow the advice below.  

Connect to the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.  Ideally don't do this within 24 hours of restarting the hub, as that clears error counters that sometimes show important evidence.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi agistchau

Thanks for taking the time to post on hare and explaining what the issue is 

So I can have a look at this in a bit more detail 

I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

farnandez
Joining in

are you confusing WiFi with the internet connection? both are separate, WiFi is just within your household and is wireless. The internet cable connects into your virgin router from the street.

But if you're confident in the settings of the hub, try turn WiFi Optimisation off, waiting 5 minutes, reboot the hub, wait another 5 minutes and see how stable things appear in the household.gb whatsapp

That's one common suggestion, but other factors such as WiFi range and external factors such as the cable network, and quality of signal reaching the hub from the network could be at play.