Menu
lmacilroy
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is VM blocking port forwarding attempts

No i did not indicate it was down to the port forwarding in that scenario. I said that when I had it in router mode. What I did say was that I also tried modem mode but when testing to see if anything was getting to the port with the program I was using, the port test showed it as still being closed. The fact remains here that whether I am in router mode and have set the port up in port forwarding or whether I have it in modem mode or even have my lan ip set in dmz or even have the program added as an exception AND set up rules for the port number in windows firewall (and even disabled the firewall in windows) - nothing has worked thus far.

As @ravenstar68 has suggested I may have to try another full reset but seeing as I have tried that already i doubt doing it again is going to change the situation.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I'd stop concentrating on trying to fix the Hub for now, as it doesn't work in modem mode it's certainly not going to work in router mode, so you can't tell if the Hub is at fault or not. Can't fix an issue if you can't tell if the issue exists to start with.

If you have any third party firewalls/anti virus disabled and Windows firewall disabled it should have nothing stopping it from working in modem mode as long as the server is not set to bind only to a specific IP address, however as DayZ uses UDP for communications, and as UDP is a connectionless protocol, it may just be that everything is perfectly fine but the port checking tool you're using is unable to check it properly.
I'd recommend having someone else just try and connect with their game client instead.
0 Kudos
lmacilroy
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 34
Flag for a moderator

The server works fine in itself as it shows up on my server list for LAN mode in steam - ie it shows as a lan server but not in list of standard servers (though it wouldnt show up in the steam server list as I cant filter dayz in the server list). The same goes for if I am in a game of dayz it shows on the LAN tab in the list of servers but if i try to look for the server in the actual server list it does not show. I may try with a different game by setting up a server and setting up a port for that game and seeing what happens. Again I wont hold my breath as I suspect it wont work for any other game either though I will try it on the box I use for running game servers but also try it on one of my other computers also. Also just to clarify when I set up the port for the dayz server I set it to both protocols TCP and UDP and not set to one or the other. I seem to have a bee in the bonnet with this and Im the sort of person who does not enjoy being beaten by something like this - so Im gonna crack on and keep seeing what could be the problem. For all I know it may well be something staring me right in the face thats causing this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 24 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@DreamOfCheese wrote:
The illogical thing here is that you've tested it in modem mode, where NAT and port forwarding do not exist and the PC gets a publicly routable IP address, and it still hasn't worked. Yet you remain insistent that it's down to the port forwarding.

I totally agree with this.

Also I actually prefer packet sender to test with rather than DayZ-Server, this is because it doubles as both a client and a server, the log shows both inbound and outbound packets in one place.

@lmacilroy I will say this from personal experience.  Sometimes it's easy to focus on a particular issue as being the cause of your problem to the exclusion of all else.  I personally have also on occasion had to throw away what I thought I knew about the cause of a problem in order to actually solve it.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@lmacilroy wrote:

The server works fine in itself as it shows up on my server list for LAN mode in steam - ie it shows as a lan server but not in list of standard servers (though it wouldnt show up in the steam server list as I cant filter dayz in the server list). The same goes for if I am in a game of dayz it shows on the LAN tab in the list of servers but if i try to look for the server in the actual server list it does not show. I may try with a different game by setting up a server and setting up a port for that game and seeing what happens. Again I wont hold my breath as I suspect it wont work for any other game either though I will try it on the box I use for running game servers but also try it on one of my other computers also. Also just to clarify when I set up the port for the dayz server I set it to both protocols TCP and UDP and not set to one or the other. I seem to have a bee in the bonnet with this and Im the sort of person who does not enjoy being beaten by something like this - so Im gonna crack on and keep seeing what could be the problem. For all I know it may well be something staring me right in the face thats causing this.

When you say you set up the port you set it to both protocols do you mean in the DayZ server configuration, or in the port forwarding configuration?

When a developer opens a network socket in an application they choose which protocol to open it for, be it TCP, UDP, or even one of the others. You could have one server on UDP 2020 and another entirely different server on TCP 2020, they're distinct and an application can use TCP without using UDP and vice versa, if you've forwarded TCP and UDP but the server itself is only opening a socket for UDP it's irrelevant that you've forwarded it's still not actually open or bound.

The vast majority of port checking sites only do TCP, if it doesn't let you select which protocol to use it's safe to assume it's TCP. The reason for this is that when your PC connects to a TCP port it first performs a TCP handshake to establish a session (connection), this means that the server HAS to reply to acknowledge the start of the handshake, this is how it checks that something is running on that port, however with UDP this does not exist, your PC would just send a packet containing the data to the port and it won't necessarily hear back at all from the server unless the data triggered a reply packet in the server. So this makes checking if a UDP port has something running on it inherently difficult unless you're aware in advanced of what application is running on the port so you know exactly what to send to get a response, or if the application happens to have a default response it sends in the event of receiving garbage data, which isn't usually a thing as it allows for spoofed DoS or DRDoS attacks.

lmacilroy
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Just to again reiterate when I tested in modem mode I had the dedi box connected to the modem port on the SH3 and tested the game server. This was with the program being allowed an exception in the windows firewall and with the port being added as an inbound/outbound rule for both TCP and UDP. I used packet sender on two machines and it stated that it could not connect. I still seem to think its my SH3 personally that is at fault here as Ive tried a multitude of different things on two seperate machines in my local network using the exact same program with no resolution. This does not mean to say that I am not considering there may be another cause for my issues.

0 Kudos
lmacilroy
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@DreamOfCheese I set that up in both. In the command line for starting my dayzs server I have added the port parameter (-port=2302) and of course set it in the port forward section of the hub.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 34
Flag for a moderator

The issue is that the DayZ server only uses UDP, not TCP, I explained the differences and that one doesn't mean the other in my previous message.

Forwarding both does not mean port checks will suddenly return open for TCP, and as explained in my previous message UDP port checks are not really a thing.
0 Kudos
lmacilroy
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Surely though whether I have just UDP set up for the server in port forwarding or whether I have both TCP/UDP set up if there isnt a problem i should be able to see the game server listed instead of just being listed LAN side - if everything is working as it should be. Im gonna try a slightly different approach on the basis of what you say. Ill set up port forwarding for the server on my other machine and set it to just UDP and check to see if the game is listed in the game server list (ie as in internet servers not just LAN side). LIke I said it maybe down to something as simple as that. I would like to try it with a 3rd party router but unable to cos I aint got one that I can test that theory with though I may get one just so I can try that theory also.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
On our wavelength
Message 30 of 34
Flag for a moderator

It'd be better testing it by connecting to it with the game client than just checking the server list, the server list has more variables than just if the server is accessible and in troubleshooting you should reduce the amount of variables.
0 Kudos