Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is VM blocking port forwarding attempts

@legacy1 wrote:
You can try the hub in modem mode to see if it works and if not its likely the firewall of that device that stopping it.

Either that or try turning the firewall off.

@lmacilroy Out of curiosity - what are you using to test?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
lmacilroy
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 - ive tried modem mode...still didnt work...ill give it another go later today. I also tried turning the firewall off in the hub but that didnt work either. I then read into the superhub and found out that if the firewall is turned off on the hub then port forwarding would not work anyway (whether this is the same for both modem and router mode im not sure but this is what was quoted).

The program Im using to test is the dedicated server executable for DayZ (DayZServer_x64.exe)

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@lmacilroy wrote:

@ravenstar68 - ive tried modem mode...still didnt work...ill give it another go later today. I also tried turning the firewall off in the hub but that didnt work either. I then read into the superhub and found out that if the firewall is turned off on the hub then port forwarding would not work anyway (whether this is the same for both modem and router mode im not sure but this is what was quoted).

The program Im using to test is the dedicated server executable for DayZ (DayZServer_x64.exe)

I believe they meant for you to turn off the firewall in Windows, as the firewall on the Hub is not really a firewall and is just NAT.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 34
Flag for a moderator

If the servers not reachable when you're in modem mode, then your problem is NOT down to port forwarding.  It's down to the computer that's running the server.

Make sure that you're allowing inbound connections to the server through windows firewall.

Tim

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 34
Flag for a moderator

BTW

The advantage to using a tool like packet sender as opposed to an actual game server like Dayz-server is that you can actually see the packets being sent and received.  Furthermore packet sender can be used to check that the port forwarding is set up for ANY game server prior to actually running the server prior to actually running the server itself.

Another tool I use is Wireshark, which sees the packets as they hit the network card BEFORE they are processed by windows firewall (but it is a hard program to get the hang of).

Tim

0 Kudos
lmacilroy
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I checked to make sure that the program had a connection through windows firewall (i checked the exceptions list in windows firewall to make sure though) and yes its being allowed a connection both ways - i even added a firewall exception for the port to see if that made any difference though from experience i have never needed to do something like that in the past. I also disabled my avast antivirus as well to see if that was the problem. Neither made any difference at all. Im sure I did test it on another computer to see if there was any difference but there wasnt. I may test that theory again as there are 4 computers in the household.

*EDIT* I just checked on another computer and still the same I even tried a different port and set that up on PF on the SH3 and still no resolution. Still showing as blocked. So I very much doubt its anything to do with the computer I intend running the server on or anything to do with its firewall - as logic states getting the same result on two different computers within my local network means that it isnt down to the computer but instead is down to somewhere further along the network and the only other point is the SH3. I think Im gonna have to try another hard reset of the hub when I get the chance and allow the onboard memory to completely discharge before trying again.

Basically Im beginning to think there is something wrong with this hub in particular as in all reality the amount of variations I have tested in order to get the port to forward should have come up with some resolution by now.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 34
Flag for a moderator

You say you tested on another computer on a different port, was anything actually running on that port on that computer?

Even if you set up port forwarding for a port it's not open unless something is actually running and bound to that port on the computer to accept the connection.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 18 of 34
Flag for a moderator

My problem with your assertion is this:

1.  You've tried modem mode and you get the same results.

In modem mode your computer is connected directly to the internet with a public IP address - there is no NAT. occurring.

2. Port forwarding is done in software (in fact ports themselves aren't physical entities, it's just a number representing part of the connection) - So if the software was indeed faulty, no one would be able to port forward.  Which I can do as can many others.

The only thing I would suggest is trying a factory reset and starting the whole thing from scratch as this has been known to clear up some glitches.

I'll be quite frank, it's times like these I'd love to use Teamviewer to connect to the offending computer and see what's happening (I'm not asking though - just saying).

Tim

0 Kudos
lmacilroy
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Yes of course I had a program running on that other computer - in fact the same program as on the original computer (dayzserver_X64.exe). I would assume people would have realised that. Why would I run this program on one computer then when testing on a different system NOT run it also - that would be illogical.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 34
Flag for a moderator

The illogical thing here is that you've tested it in modem mode, where NAT and port forwarding do not exist and the PC gets a publicly routable IP address, and it still hasn't worked. Yet you remain insistent that it's down to the port forwarding.