Menu
lmacilroy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Is VM blocking port forwarding attempts

For some time Ive been trying to sort out port forwarding on my SH3. Ive tried everything to resolve this issue but when checking if the port is open shows it as closed (though one site describes it more as "stealth" rather than closed). Im unable to try modem mode as I dont have a 3rd party router at the moment to try this method (though I get the feeling I may have to purchase one to go this route). I do know it never used to be like this some time ago as used to have several game servers running on a dedicated box that I use for this purpose. I know Ill probly get the usual set of troubleshooting steps to try out and ascertain where the issue lies ie factory reset (which I have done though notice that to factory reset I had to reset on back of my hub for 60 seconds but NOT turn power off in order for settings to reset) after doing this PF still doesnt work. I also tried a soft reset from in my settings which did not work either.

What I am actually wondering is this: Have VM in some form blocked customers ability to set up port forwarding on their SH3's? Either by doing it from their end or in a FW update. If its the 2nd option then I will say that something within the FW code may be causing people to be unable to forward ports on their hub - even if it shows that the port has been set up in their settings page.

These are my SH3 device settings:

Hardware version: 10
Software version: 9.1.116.608

Its rather bloody annoying that a lot of people are NOT able to get port forwarding to work again on their SH3's - akin to a service being provided which is not fit for purpose!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is VM blocking port forwarding attempts

The short answer is - no they haven't blocked anyone from setting up port forwarding.

I've been port forwarding on the original Superhub, Superhub2 Sperhub2ac and the Hub 3 (not to mention my own 3rd party routers in the past).  In fact I have a number of Port Forwards set up right now.

Let's make something clear.  I don't work for Virgin Media.  I post on here in my own time, but if I were a BT customer and helping on their Forum's I'd be saying the same thing.  The logistics of stopping individual some customers from port forwarding but not others really doesn't bear thinking about.

The only ports you should have trouble with are the Netbios trio - because Virgin Media actively block those ports on the edge of the network for EVERYONE, and those three ports shouldn't be accessible over the internet at large anyway.

What are you trying to port forward specifically.  Let's see if we can't help.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
lmacilroy
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

The ports in specific I am trying to forward shouldnt matter one bit as the problem exists no matter what port is being used. For your information anyway Im forwarding ports 2302 - 2305 which are typically used for the Arma series of games by Bohemia Interactive - these ports are also used for another game of theirs. I will assume VM are not in any way blocking port forwarding from being used completely which leaves us with the premise that there has to be something wrong with the FW on the SH3 (assuming that why would PF on the SH3 work for a period of time then stop completely working if its got nothing to do with the FW). Im curious to know which hardware/versions people are using and of those who are able to port forward and who are unable to.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@lmacilroy wrote:

The ports in specific I am trying to forward shouldnt matter one bit as the problem exists no matter what port is being used.

Then your thinking is wrong you can't port forward any port if you don't have the device with a program on that ports and note that port scan site only test for TCP not UDP.

Also you don't need a router to test modem mode why some people think this is beyond me you must of not use internet back in the day.

you likely will need a router for modem mode in the end.

0 Kudos
lmacilroy
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1 I notice you reply to a lot of posts on the forums here. I also notice you tend to steer towards criticising peoples posts a bit too much. As others have asked of you before if you dont have anything relevant or useful to say please just say nothing. There is no need to be rude. If you consider my thinking is wrong then that is your own opinion. The way you say this though I will once again say comes across as disrespectful. Continue along those lines and at some point someone will cut you down. If you had read into my original post properly you would have ascertained that I have the device and program that I want to set up the PF with. You are making assumptions all by yourself. Oh and btw port scan sites CAN scan both udp and tcp. I would get your facts right about that.

As for not needing a router to test modem mode. Again. I know that. And again you are making assumptions without first reading into the op. Yes I know I could use the single connection in modem mode and forward the ports that way - but again this would probably not work as im using the PF feature in the SH3 - what I was saying was that I dont have an external router that I can use presently so that I can test to see if PF works using a 3rd party router instead of router mode on the SH3.

What I am trying to achieve with this post is finding out how widespread this issue seems to be for those who are using the SH3 and if sufficiently widespread forcing VM into tackling it appropiately eg a FW update to correct it if it seems to be stemming from a hardware issue.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Community elder
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Only have my Hub3 in modem mode. But I have read of problems where people have not entered port forwarding rules in numerical order or have entered one lot then tried to enter more when the ports were lower that the ones previously entered. They had to delete all the ports and start again.

Do not know if any of this fits your scenario, but possibly it may help you. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I see you made assumptions that I was being rude when I was giving you facts and yes known some scan sites CAN scan udp but this does not work as packets are drops by the program that expecting packets it understands.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@lmacilroy

While I personally done't always agree with everything legacy says, he is correct.

To successfully check if a port is open we need to have a program listening on the port.

However lets look at the difference between TCP and UDP connections for a minute..

TCP is a connection orientated protocol.  Before it starts transmitting data it has a 3 way handshake to set up the connection with the destination.

Source sends a packet with the SYN flag set.
Destination sends back a packet with it's own SYN flag as well as the ACK flag to acknowledge the first packet.
Source then replies to with a final ACK.

This happens at the start of EVERY TCP connection, and this is what sites like canyouseeme.org  look for when they check if a port is open.

UDP on the other hand is a connectionless protocol.  It blasts data at the destination and then the receiving program simply listens for a reply.
In the old days computers used to send back an ICMP Port unreachable error if the port was closed.  But with the move to security by obscurity most firewalls drop the packets instead if nothing is listening.

On UDP this means that the sending computer assumes that the port is open.

There are as you say tools that can tell is a port is open such as nmap.  However the way they work is as follows.

If port is for a known protocol in the IANA list e.g. DNS it sends an appropriate packet and then listens for a response.

If we get an ICMP Port Unreachable error it signals the port is closed.
If it gets an appropriate response it signals the port is open.
If it gets no response it reports the port is open|filtered

Note then that if is cannot construct an appropriate packet - say for a game - the only possible results are closed or more likely open|filtered.

Looking at ARMA 3 we see inbound ports are all UDP

• 2302 (default Arma 3 Game port) + (VON is now part of main gameport due to NAT issues)
  • 2303 (STEAM query, +1)
  • 2304 (Steam port, +2)
  • 2305 (VON port, +3 - not used atm. but allocated)
  • 2306 (BattlEye traffic, +4)

However I have done a search and come up with the following tool.

https://packetsender.com/

This allows to to send and receive UDP packets.  Furthermore you can set it to listen on UDP, TCP and even using SSL

This means that even without ARMA 3 running you can test if the port is being forwarded.  Because if you send from within the LAN to the Hub 3's external address - It will treat it as an external packet and forward it to the port you want.

I downloaded the tool (I used the portable version so I don't have to install it) and opened it up.
packetsender1.PNG

By default it listens on Random ports so the first thing to do is click File->Settings

To set it up to listen on the ARMA ports I set it as follows.

Packetsender2.PNG

Note: by default it starts off set to listen on IPv6 only so do remember to change it to IPv4 only or both.

Click OK and we can set it up to send a packet to the LAN address first of all to make sure it's working properly.  If you want you can click save you can even save packets for each port from 2302 to 2306  I've just done the one though.

packetsender3.PNG

Now click send and because we're on the same machine we should see the packet logged twice.  Once leaving the client portion and once arriving at the server portion on the same machine.

packetsender4.PNG

Note: If you want you can set up two copies of the program on different machines, but this is not necessary.  So long as you understand that you see both the outbound and inbound packets when you are testing using one computer you can move on to actually setting and testing the Port Forwarding rules.

Change the IP address on the outbound packets to your external IP (If you need to know what this is just type IP into Google search.

packetsender5.PNG

Note: If you look above we can see I've sent a test packet but because the port forwarding rules not set up, we only see the outbound packet in the log.

Let's now fix this and show it working.

Open your web browser and log into your Hub 3 and go to Advanced Settings -> Security -> Port FORWARDING (Make sure you don't go to port triggering by mistake)

portforwarding1.PNG

Click Create a New Rule and set up the rule as follows:

portforwarding2.PNG

For Local IP use the IP address of the computer you're planning to run ARMA on - (which should also be the same one you're running the PortTesting Tool on.

Click Add Rule - You should now see the new rule in place:

portforwarding3.PNG

Finally go back to packet sender and try sending again.

packetsender6.PNG

Note that this time we see the response come back from our public IP address, meaning the Port Forwarding rule is up and running.  You can now close down packet sender and ARMA should run just fine for you. (Note if 1 port in the rule is working - they all will be - however you can test each in turn if you wish)

HTH

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
lmacilroy
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor no my scenario doesnt fit the situation youre describing yeah Ive read of that but right now at present I dont have any other PF rules set so dont need to reorder the list in numerical port order. As for the program still not working. People are not quite getting at what I am saying no matter WHAT I do port forwarding simply just does not work under the Hardware/Software version that my SH3 is using. Im trying to find out how many other people who are on these versions are also experiencing this, and also if there are customers out there who might actually have PF working using the same versions (check previous post of mine for my versions).

Just to reiterate @ravenstar68 - I have a program listening on the device for the ports I wish to forward - something legacy implied I was not doing. As for that program its not exactly indicating any results I see no difference in the results it shows between you having a port forward set up or no port forward not being set - it shows no difference between the two.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

You can try the hub in modem mode to see if it works and if not its likely the firewall of that device that stopping it.