cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipv6 status

jeffsmith82
On our wavelength

Is there any update on when ipv6 will be deployed to virgin? Or even a rough timeline of after docsis 3.1 upgrades or we aim for q2 next year ?

33 REPLIES 33

So are you working on ipv6 at all ?

@jeffsmith82 wrote:

That’s commercially sensitive information 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I think it’s fair to assume that an isp the size and scale of VM is working on deploying ipv6. When that will be ready and when they will roll it out to customers, however, is a complete unknown and will likely remain so until virgin are ready to fully launch.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jeffsmith82 wrote:

There has been a thread running on these Forums for over 10 years about IPv6, so don't expect any information soon.

If you really need IPv6, use another ISP as well alongside VM.  Or look at one of the IPv6 tunnel solutions.

As an aside, the IPv6 solution VM use in Ireland is not well received by the gaming community as it breaks things.  (CG-NAT I think is the VM solution in Ireland.) The solution for gamers is to be put back on IPv4 only.  Somethings are best left alone unless implemented natively IMHO.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

thelem
On our wavelength

@Adduxi wrote:
The solution for gamers is to be put back on IPv4 only.

That's a limitation of the configuration options that Virgin have made available to themselves, rather than anything caused by IPv6.

CG-NAT means multiple people sharing one IPv4 address. ISPs around the world have often introduced CG-NAT at the same time as IPv6, but they are separate technologies.I guess because both require big network changes it can make sense for them to happen together (known as DS-lite). It might also be project managers using the revenue/cost savings from CG-NAT to fund the IPv6 upgrade.

CG-NAT is a necessary evil that is coming whether we like it or not, although it might be limited to cheaper plans or lower income countries. The only solution is IPv6. CG-NAT will not cause problems to gamers once everything is using IPv6 (that means all players, the console/computer and the game).

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media

I don't think it's fair to assume they are actually working on it at all. The reason it's sensetive company info maybe they don't care and just are not working on it.

And just saying pick another isp is a silly comment giving the fact I'm struggling to get a decent number of ipv4 addresses in a dc and the main issue I can't use ipv6 is because a fair number of my users are on virgin. Should I mandate they all don't use virgin. How about walking through setting up a tunnel broker with 50 plus sales people that don't understand computers and then having to support that. 

Your setting up of your DC isn’t virgins issue. Or any other ISP’s issue for that matter.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jeffsmith82 wrote:

I don't think it's fair to assume they are actually working on it at all. The reason it's sensetive company info maybe they don't care and just are not working on it.

And just saying pick another isp is a silly comment giving the fact I'm struggling to get a decent number of ipv4 addresses in a dc and the main issue I can't use ipv6 is because a fair number of my users are on virgin. Should I mandate they all don't use virgin. How about walking through setting up a tunnel broker with 50 plus sales people that don't understand computers and then having to support that. 

Am I missing something here?  Should you not be using non routable IP addresses in your DC, e.g.10.x.x.x. range, and connecting your 50 sales people via a VPN? Two IPv4 addresses should suffice for VPN servers, and they should get non routable addresses to connect to everything in your DC? It's been a while since I had to think about this stuff.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

sophist
Trouble shooter

whilst i don't disagree with teh fact that VM are dragging their feet on v6 and are well behind the curve, there's also not that many v6-only services out there and certainly none that would result in VM customers revolting because they can't access it.

unfortunately, this is all on you - architect your systems so that they don't need as many v4 addresses.. 

I do use non routable addresses inside the dc but how am I meant to present http, smtp, ipsec, sftp and other services with so few public addresses. 

The fact I can't use ipv6 is directly related to isp's like virgin not rolling it out. They don't want to do it because everyone still has to have ipv4 addresses currently anyway. We cant really use it because clients might not have ipv6 addresses.