Menu
Tommywilkz1991
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ip address

After spending 30 minutes on the phone before being hung up on. I was asking about changing my ip. Her response was I’m already dynamic which I’m not. Is there anyway of being dynamic? 

0 Kudos
NickKennedy86
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ip address

What IP address are you after changing? And for what reason?

I believe the WAN address is static and cannot be changed...

0 Kudos
DaveM
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It is dynamic just very sticky. The only way to change your IP address is to put the hub in modem mode.

Dave

"The late great Douglas Adams: A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I wish people would learn that the difference between static and dynamic IP addresses is literally all about how the end device is configured, not whether the address will change or not.

To be fair, it's not their fault.  There's a lot of information on the web that says, switch off your modem, turn it back on and you'll get a new address.  The problem is that while DHCP assigned IP addresses CAN change, they don't always change.

Furthermore when an end device is given an IP by a DHCP server.  It is allocated for a period of time called the lease period.  If a device disconnects from the network and then reconnects before the lease period has expired, it will be given the same IP address again and the lease will be extended.  Furthermore devices always ask for an extension of the lease well before it expires.

Virgin Media issue 7 day lease times to devices on their network.  This means that it's very rare for one of their IP addresses to change.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Tommywilkz1991
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I want to be able to be dynamic or have my static ip changed. Someone as my ip and keeps ddosing me. 

0 Kudos
Tommywilkz1991
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How do I do this ? 

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can't as Ravenstar has explained except by going to modem mode for more than 7 days and hoping when you switch back to router mode, you are given a different IP address from before.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Tommywilkz1991 wrote:

I want to be able to be dynamic or have my static ip changed. Someone as my ip and keeps ddosing me. 

In my opinion, tough.

I, personally, wouldn’t want to be the person who inherits your IP address and DDOS inconvenience. 

Give you a new IP address and the same happens again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Tommywilkz1991 wrote:

You do have a dynamically allocated address.  It's just that dynamic doesn't mean what you think it means.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.