Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Investigating packet loss

Hi, I wondered if the guru's here might be able to point me in the right direction. Recently I have taken up game streaming, such as Geforce Now, Stadia, Xcloud, plus playing games remotely on a cloud machine. This kind of network usage is pretty intense as it simultaneously involves low latency downloads (a HD image) and uploads (my control inputs to the server). It works OK but all services complain of packet loss on my line.

Currently I have a superhub 3 with a 200M connection. The speed is great (200+MB on wifi and wired). Internet speed tests generally find no problems, ping is low and stable.

So, does anyone have a process for analysing connection problems? After a few pings I'm not sure where to start... I've started a BQM via thinkbroadband and so far there are no problems.

Do I just need to buy a faster router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Investigating packet loss

Post a link to your BQM so that people can look at it.

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You BQM Link doesn't work, you may not have copied the full URL before pasting.

You have two Upstream Channels at 16 QAM - they should beat 64 QAM, apart from that the stats look OK.

It may be a good idea to carry out a factory reset on the Hub …

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Instructions for Hub 3

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your system again.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Edit: Looks like that last cable connection I found cleared up my QAM issues. I'm now on 64 QAM for all channels! Also my packet loss has improved, but not gone.

With regards to the cable I found. How are they meant to be put together? The head of the cable can easily be pulled off (the head being what connects the cable from my superhub to the cable coming into the building) and I see exposed copper wire, wrapped around a plastic tube that contains a single copper cable. Does the outer copper wires matter at all? Does it matter than the head can come off?

Original message:

Sorry here is the BQM Link:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2022e5cab98c348572ebb8baa024654909...

I've checked the cable connections, factory reset the router and run the service status. I'm still getting packet loss. The service status says the below, but only suggets checking cables.

We're detecting an intermittent issue

There may be a blip on our network affecting your Broadband - it's usually resolved quickly, but we recommend a few in-home checks to rule out any loose connections.

I also am still getting 16 QAM on upstream bonded channels 2 and 3 - which are different from yesterdays 16 QAM channels - I've updated my original link with today's network status - the most recent network errors are me disconnecting a cable and reconnecting it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Scaleb.

We can see there's an area fault which may be affecting your services at the moment, I'll include the information on this below.

Reference: F008312492

Estimated fix time: 18 AUG 2020 13:25

Thanks, Emily.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Emily, is there a way to track the progress of this fault or get a notification when it is resolved?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It may show on the service status page or you can quote the reference to any of our team for an update.

Thanks, Emily.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily, is this issue resolved now?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, what is the status of this issue? Is it fixed?

0 Kudos