cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet signal’s been extremely slow for the past three days now

MonicaF1973
Tuning in

Hello All

Hope you can help me, please. My internet’s been extremely slow for the past three days now, it does always dramatically drop after about 4.30/5pm, because during the day it luckily works fine.

I am working from home so during the day it’s completely fine (touch wood!) but, every single day after about 4.30pm or so, it becomes terribly slow. 
I have tried all sort of tests: switching the hub off and back on, I have re-set the hub, I have run the test speed with the laptop connected to the Ethernet cable and without it being connected but, no matter what test and check I have done, basically nothing works out. It becomes better at around midnight and then back again during the day.

I have got a super hub 2, we have one laptop and one tablet, our mobiles (IPhone and Moto10) are connected to the WI FI too. I have also checked the wall box outside and it’s fine, no loose cables, everything is in perfect order inside and outside our home.

It was fine up until three days ago and then it stopped. I live in Croydon.

Many  thanks for your help, I have taken several pictures at different times of the day that show how bad my broadband speed is in the afternoon.

Monica

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you checked first for “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers and you will have to call it in

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

EDIT: Just noticed you posted the Logs - it had Mac addresses in that need removing - so do it as below.

OK lets look at some connection data and see if we can spot any issues.

It does sound like it might be something at their end. A VM person ought to pick this up in a day or two and take a look for you - but in the meantime can you follow this procedure.

First switch the Hub off for a few minutes AND unplug it from the mains. Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Switch it on and after 5' do this.

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up there is no need to login just click on the “router status” icon/text at the top right of the first page up to see the data pages. And then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you checked first for “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers and you will have to call it in

--------------------
John
--------------------

Good morning John

many thanks for your reply 😊

Yes, I have tried that, many times over these past few days and, unsurprisingly, it keeps saying that there are no known issues.

There clearly are though and it all depends on Virgin (no accusation, it’s a fact) because the signal drops always dramatically from around 4.30pm onwards, every single day now, and start increasing from around midnight onwards.

I am going to call that number later on but I wonder when Virgin will decide to sort things out as I have the feeling, and I have also read other similar posts too, it does only depend on them.

Thanks a lot again for your tips though, and I would welcome any other suggestion, please?
Monica

Forgot to mention that watching a video on YouTube seems to be always fine, never had a problem with that even whenCDEC359D-58B2-4F96-8B7F-790D8AB22D8D.png9360F62D-915C-42A7-B352-4940A8D19C8E.png the speed was at its worst. 

I have just published the Internet speed I run earlier this morning and the one that my husband run yesterday late evening, I connected to the 5G and it was an absolute disgrace, however things do not improve when we connect the laptop to the Ethernet cable. It simply is exactly the same. Many thanks again, John. 

Hi John sorry to trouble you but can you please check the below? Many thanks.

Network Log

First Time Last Time Priority Error Number Description
26/06/2021 16:51:07 GMT 26/06/2021 16:51:07 GMT Error (4) 68010302 DHCP WAN IP - removed
26/06/2021 16:50:02 GMT 26/06/2021 16:50:02 GMT Error (4) 68000407 TOD established
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Time Not Established Notice (6) 84000510 Downstream Locked Successfully
26/06/2021 11:23:53 GMT 26/06/2021 11:23:53 GMT Error (4) 68010302 DHCP WAN IP - removed
26/06/2021 11:22:50 GMT 26/06/2021 11:22:50 GMT Error (4) 68000407 TOD established
Time Not Established Time Not Established Notice (6) 84000510 Downstream Locked Successfully
25/06/2021 17:21:48 GMT 25/06/2021 17:21:48 GMT Error (4) 68010302 DHCP WAN IP - removed
25/06/2021 17:20:48 GMT 25/06/2021 17:20:48 GMT Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
25/06/2021 17:20:44 GMT 25/06/2021 17:20:44 GMT Error (4) 68000407 TOD established
24/06/2021 20:18:54 GMT 24/06/2021 20:18:54 GMT Warning (5) 66050310 Auth Success - Web login successful.
24/06/2021 20:13:40 GMT 24/06/2021 20:13:40 GMT Warning (5) 66050310 Auth Success - Web login successful.
24/06/2021 20:06:26 GMT 24/06/2021 20:06:26 GMT Error (4) 68010302 DHCP WAN IP - removed
24/06/2021 20:05:23 GMT 24/06/2021 20:05:23 GMT Error (4) 68000407 TOD established
24/06/2021 16:59:10 GMT 24/06/2021 16:59:10 GMT Error (4) 68010302 DHCP WAN IP - removed
24/06/2021 16:58:06 GMT 24/06/20

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

EDIT: Just noticed you posted the Logs - it had Mac addresses in that need removing - so do it as below.

OK lets look at some connection data and see if we can spot any issues.

It does sound like it might be something at their end. A VM person ought to pick this up in a day or two and take a look for you - but in the meantime can you follow this procedure.

First switch the Hub off for a few minutes AND unplug it from the mains. Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Switch it on and after 5' do this.

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up there is no need to login just click on the “router status” icon/text at the top right of the first page up to see the data pages. And then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks for your post MonicaF1973, and we're sorry to hear of the poor service you've been experiencing after 4:30pm/5:00pm

Are you able to run a speed test via a Cat 6 Ethernet cable, and with the hub in modem mode before and after the 4:30pm mark?

This will tell us what speed we have going into your property at each occurrence

Can you please also attempt a pin hole reset on the hub for me?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn