but now getting 40 to 50mbps 

kids room 30mbps usually 70 to 90mbps 

ive rest hub 3 a few times still nothing 

then deleted the whole lot and reinstalled but still the same 

why has it dropped so much when kids go online for gaming lags really bad 

Is there any other fixes I can do as was fine about a week ago 

Many thanks 

29 REPLIES 29

You could maybe look at a mesh with a dedicated backhaul. That does in all honesty sound like normal behaviour for some mesh systems 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hello Gary 

how do I go about that as ain’t got a clue with other routers 

this has drove me insane.have to maintain this setup a lot keep optimising it slot of the deco as comes up congested 

Just want internet that actually works properly 

thanks tony 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can connect the Deco's units by ethernet cables to take care of "backhaul" - I was suggesting that to see if that is where the actual issue is - or whether there may be a fault in the Deco's set up or in the units themselves

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello John 

sorry I forgot to mention I’ve got 3 computers plugged straight into the deco and still get low internet 

I’ve deleted the deco setup and rest hub gonna reconnect all again as in message 5 

this will be the 5th time now I’ve done it works for abit then goes all slow speed again after 4 days or so 

will update in abit 

if not think new router but not sure on what one just want the kids to be able to play gaming without a issue 

cheers 

tony 

Hammer82
On our wavelength

Update 

done the normal with connecting the deco m5 to hub3 in modem mode 

now can’t connect to internet hub 3 is red and deco is green but nothing now 

Can’t work it out why it’s not letting me connect now when before it did 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is the first deco unit set to DHCP & Nat mode?

You may need to follow instructions for resetting the Deco unit - something is not correct as these are a doddle to set up.

You say 3 computers plugged straight into the Deco - how ? Do you mean one computer plugged into the first unit and 2 into the other 2.

Keep it simple follow the sequence exactly Leave the the other 2 Deco's off for now and see what that gets alone - on both wifi and ethernet

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I’ve reset the whole lot hub 3 and reset all decos 

ive got 2 computers plugged into one deco Other one has got computer a sky q mini box on 

main deco is connected to hub 

When you put deco in AP mode and hub in modem mode,done exactly what you said in message 5,turned off hub connected deco and Ethernet cable then turned hub 3 on 

get a green light on deco normal light when connected,but can’t connect keeps saying no internet even on the app says no deco connected 

had to reset again and only way I could get connection is lhub 3 modem mode.then main deco in router mode seems to work that way just gotta see for how long 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When you put deco in AP mode and hub in modem mode”, this will not work. Deco must be in router mode if VM hub is in modem mode.

Setup for your own router / mesh:

VM hub in router mode -> router / mesh in AP mode,

VM hub in modem mode -> router / mesh in router mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hammer82
On our wavelength

Thank you Tudor 

ive got hub in modem mode and deco in router mode 

is that the best way to have it 

or shall I do it the other way round 

Cheers 

Tony 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You have got the best way.

When in modem mode the CPU in the hub, which is very under powered, does not have the overhead of processing the WiFi and Network Switch components of the hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2