kids room 30mbps usually 70 to 90mbps 

ive rest hub 3 a few times still nothing 

then deleted the whole lot and reinstalled but still the same 

why has it dropped so much when kids go online for gaming lags really bad 

Is there any other fixes I can do as was fine about a week ago 

Many thanks 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

What speed do you get wired into the main deco that’s connected to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hammer82 wrote:

how canes I still getting drop offs 

I have 3 pals all running Deco M5 systems successfully.  Did you set it up again from scratch as per message 5?

What exactly is going wrong? The first unit is connected to the Hub which is in modem mode correct? Then you get full speeds over wifi when close to that unit and if you plug one computer into the Deco's second ethernet port that gets full speeds as well correct?

The other 2 Deco's were paired to this over wifi using the TP-Link app to get the optimal positions correct? So then, what speeds do you get on wifi and from the ethernet ports on the other 2 units - and which is "glitching" - does that mean dropping out or fluctuating speeds?

Whats the layout of the house and what are the walls floors made from etc?  Might something in between the units be "interfering".  What happens if you try connecting the second unit directly to the first unit by a long trailing ethernet cable instead of over wifi - just as a test?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello John 

sorry I forgot to mention I’ve got 3 computers plugged straight into the deco and still get low internet 

I’ve deleted the deco setup and rest hub gonna reconnect all again as in message 5 

this will be the 5th time now I’ve done it works for abit then goes all slow speed again after 4 days or so 

will update in abit 

if not think new router but not sure on what one just want the kids to be able to play gaming without a issue 

cheers 

tony 

29 REPLIES 29

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are you in modem mode on the Hub?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yeah hub is in modem mode 

Hammer82
On our wavelength

Also should I keep 2.4ghz and 5ghz on or just have one of them on ?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try setting it up again this way.

On the first Deco unit, change/ensure its network setting is at DHCP & Nat mode. Then switch it off and disconnect the wan cable to the Hub. Switch off all the other M5 units. Then check that the VM Hub is put into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub MUST then be powered off.

Now switch on the first M5 and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Only now power up the VM hub and leave a few minutes you should get a connection. Then use se the recommended App to connect other M5 units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

If you’re not in modem mode it could just be limitations of the mesh system.

Have you turned QOS off?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

I’ve check hub is in modem mod just to double check it 

how do you turn QOS off with deco system 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hammer82 wrote:

how do you turn QOS off with deco system 

Check the Deco manual/instructions ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Just tried few different settings in the qos as can’t turn it off fully 

still coming back low mbps 

What speed do you get wired into the main deco that’s connected to the hub?