cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet random total blackout

tianyuan_wang
Joining in

Over the past few months my Internet connection became unstable from time to time. The service drops randomly and normally lasts about 3-5 min. It can be any time during the whole day. This happens more often during busy hours, fot instance, working for 15 min and then no connection for 3-5 min and then repeat. Tried to reduce the load on the hub with a router and set the hub to modem mode but didn't make any effect. It is very annoying. I need to connect my phone to the PC to get stable network from 4G. The service check page doesn't make sense. If I can access the page, there won't be an issue. If there is an issue, I can't access the page.

Hope someone can help me with this problem.

Thank you very much.

5 REPLIES 5

seunje
Dialled in

@tianyuan_wang wrote:

Over the past few months my Internet connection became unstable from time to time. The service drops randomly and normally lasts about 3-5 min. It can be any time during the whole day. This happens more often during busy hours, fot instance, working for 15 min and then no connection for 3-5 min and then repeat. Tried to reduce the load on the hub with a router and set the hub to modem mode but didn't make any effect. It is very annoying. I need to connect my phone to the PC to get stable network from 4G. The service check page doesn't make sense. If I can access the page, there won't be an issue. If there is an issue, I can't access the page.

Hope someone can help me with this problem.

Thank you very much.

I have the exact same issue as you and they have not fixed it since July 15th - more than a month now.

See my post here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Intermittent-outages-for-weeks/td-p/5107659

Virgin Media is worst broadband company in UK by far; just google "virgin media ofcom".

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @tianyuan_wang,

Thank you for your post, and a warm welcome to our Community Forums!

I'm sorry to hear you're facing problems with your service being intermittent. I can see that you're currently operating your Hub in Modem Mode, which means we're unable to perform a full diagnostic on your service.

Can you please set your Hub to Router Mode, so we can run further checks? Can you please also set up a Broadband Quality Monitor and provide us with a 24-hour graph? You can do this by clicking here.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Just saw your original post. Looks like the issue happens not only in a small region, Al5, SE22, YO1... I still have this issue from time to time recently. Hope they can fix it ASAP. Sigh...

I created the thinkbroadband quality monitor and here are some of the graphs of the dates I experienced the issue... (IP is blurred for privacy)

28th Sep:

28th Sep28th Sep

29th Sep:

29th Sep29th Sep

4th Oct:

4th Oct4th Oct

5th Oct:

5th Oct5th Oct

Hope these can provide some information for you and the issue can be solved very soon.

Hi Tianyuan_wang, thank you for returning to the thread to keep us updated!

Sorry to see you have been experiencing these issues for some time now! 
Although you are in Modem mode I can see there is an issue showing with one of the channels bringing signal in from the exchange which would require a technician to investigate and resolve.

I will send you a PM to get this booked in with you. You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 

We can then return to this thread with an update when possible. 

All the best!

Molly