cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet on and off at midnight for months

Deathatomic
Joining in

Hi, I live around the NG19 area and work evenings so don't get in from work until around 12.

We've been having a problem for months now where around midnight to 1 in the morning our Virgin media WiFi and ethernet connection will constantly turn on and of, on and off for about 2-3 hours.

It's been happening about 3-4 days a week but what's been more annoying is that it's been happening for months... Well into lockdown times.

Forcing me to use my mobile phone data to watch Netflix or YouTube ect...

Also would just like to throw in that internet speeds at night generally slow down for no particular reason, doesn't make sense concidering less people in the area should be using it.

Does anyone know what might be going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Deathatomic

Welcome to the community 

Sorry to hear you're having intermittent issues that occurs at night. I haven't seen any reasons for these issues at our side and everything looks in specification currently. 

Are you able to create a Broadband quality monitor as suggested by jbrennand. If you fully reboot your router and let the data collect then post your live graph to the thread so we can see what happens at night at the router. With this information we'll be able to investigate further. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A VM person will comment here in a day or two.

In the meantime see if there are any ongoing works that might cause this.

Check for any “known network faults” ... on...

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

Then to keep a record do this...

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @Deathatomic

Welcome to the community 

Sorry to hear you're having intermittent issues that occurs at night. I haven't seen any reasons for these issues at our side and everything looks in specification currently. 

Are you able to create a Broadband quality monitor as suggested by jbrennand. If you fully reboot your router and let the data collect then post your live graph to the thread so we can see what happens at night at the router. With this information we'll be able to investigate further. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley