cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet may not be available disconnects

DanButHarry
Tuning in

For a few months now, our household devices have been subject to isolated disconnects, but the hub remains in service and connected to the wifi. It is often shown on our phones as the wifi symbol with an ! Next to it stating "Internet may not be available"

Its incredibly frustrating, in the last 20 minutes i have disconnected 5 times, my wife 3 times.

Have read a few similar threads like this but nothing ive tried has worked. 

Nothing has changed at home, the hub remains in a good, not blocked location where it has been fine for many years prior to this issue.

This is tending to happen only upstairs on wifi connected devices. However speed tests and WiFi analytics are all good. 

I have tried:

Soft resets, hard (pin hole) resets, splitting 2.4 & 5ghz and using 2.4 for better stability, static IP on phones, clearing phone cache in bios,  connecting on phone while in safe mode (remove app interference) disabling smart channels and setting manual ones, purchased a wifi extender, we have also had an engineer install a brand new Hub3 box. 

The issue is still persistent and extremely annoying as every evening upstairs, our phones continously disconnect and streaming anything is impossible.

Any advice please?

Screenshot_20211028-230114_Settings.jpg

53 REPLIES 53

Hi DanButHarry

Thanks for posting. My apologies for the broadband issues. I've done a system check today and no outages are showing, no issues. I've then ran a power level check and the same, no issues are showing, all in spec. I've then checked for congestion and any SNR (signal to noise ratio) issues, there's none showing. 

Did you do the PIN reset of your router? (60 seconds not 10)

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Appreciate all the checks, also confirm everything is normal, just the disconnects persist. 

The guy i spoke to demanded that i not do a reset until tomorrow but that he had fixed my problems and i should hard reset my box every 2 weeks, which is a ridiculous comment... Also, not fixed, as i expected. he had me unplug and replug the coax cable and recommended i turn on smart channels opt.

Other than another hard reset, anything else virgin can do to support?

Thank you

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @DanButHarry,

We are unable to see anything wrong on our side, but I see you have mentioned it is still dropping out.

Please can you set up a BMQ chart for 24 hours? Then post the link?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi @DanButHarry

Thanks for coming back to us. Still nothing showing on our systems that would cause this. One option we can try, is have you downloaded the Connect App? The app, when downloaded and installed, will help you do a WiFi scan in the property. Identifying any coverage blackspots, optimising them where possible. It'll also advise you if you need to order a Pod.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

No offence, but i think line and network issues were ruled out a while ago.

Its something to do with how the behaviour of the hub deals with providing internet connectivity to devices in the household, as the actual connection between devices and hub is fine, the devices are not disconnecting from the hub. The internet part of the connection stops being provided. 

I used an AP/range extender and also tried on 2.4ghz only, this made no difference, its not a signal/Blackspot issue (connectivity was fine for what.. 2 years prior to this issue on every room of the house and the hub location hasnt moved.

Use your hub in modem mode and get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @DanButHarry. thanks for coming back to us.

Sorry if this comes across as a silly question, but have friends and family who have visited your property recently had the same issues if and when connecting to your WiFi?

Regards

Lee_R

My brother and sister in law have issues, they always mock the connection/speed they get when visiting as it seems slow for them. last week sister in law had to disconnect from the wifi in order to get some content to load on facebook. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi DanButHarry,

Thanks for your response and I'm sorry to see the issues that you are still facing.

Just from viewing the account I can see that your power levels seem to be fine however there are issues with your wifi frequencies as they are at capacity, would any devices be able to connect via ethernet?

Off the back of that I would advise doing a reboot as we can see you haven't in over 10 days to see if this helps.

Thanks,

Kain