cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet maximum latency spikes cutting out 3/5 times a day

moonies
Dialled in

After 7+ technicians to my house, countless- i mean countless hours (2/3 hours a day) phone calls. and being fobbed off and more. this is my last attempt with virgin media.

My internet runs great when it does. I am a streamer online and i try to make a living streaming. but virgin media won't let me.

i have had experiences of cutting out 1-5 times a day. i have had networking involved, the cabinet checked, routers replaced, caps put on the router to "balance levels" literally 3 days ago as he walked away smiling saying its fixed. well, surprise surprise yet again here we are.

I beg , i literally beg someone knows a solution. the problem is green spikes so bad that it cuts off the internet. we have two virgin media modems in the house. one is a hub3, one is a hub4. i am in modem mode with both of them. one using a nighthawk router (£250) and one using a rog asus ax11000 (£500). as you can spot both spike at the same time. this doesn't happen all the time but more often it does. i have worse logs that spike 5x a day and continuously cuts me off for hours. i have had technicians all over the county look and they all say they fixed this or fixed that. im well in reach of cancelling my contract as i have had over 3 technicians in 30 days ot my house. todays my last leg with virgin if this can not be resolved. because of this im losing money and struggling to pay rent because of continuous cut offs.

the hub 4 logs

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0b7926f4c5b69bf7712ae1ceeb66a542021d1d4c

the hub 3 logs

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/019b5eb1ac0122891720bc9d49d7467891694d6d

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi moonies, 

We're sorry to hear that your issues are continuing. 

Based on the 2 live links you shared, things seem to have settled down on the BQM's - have you noticed an improvement in your connection. 

It looks as though we have already gone as far as we can looking at your first post where you say that Networks have looked in to things and a number of things replaced, checked and adjusted. At this point, if you are still having issues then the only thing we may be able to offer is the ability to leave with no early termination fees. 

As a last resort, I will pop your account details over to an Area Field manager along with the BQM's to see if there is anything further they can suggest. Once I have any reply, I will pop back here and let you know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Looks like you stream a fair bit I take it you do most of your streaming on the hub 4? to get that latency with the green and packet loss as your sending non stop at a 9Mb rate I would guess the Docsis upstream can't allow you to send that much as it under load by other modems wanting to send stuff so you buffer hard in the modem causing your own DoS.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply. i stream about 12 hours a day, sometimes streaming 12 hours through the night. i stream on the hub4 yes. im unsure what docsis is, but sometimes i can stream for days without issue's, then its horrific for weeks on end. surely this should be reproducable if im doing the same thing? would you know a workaround? as for the hub3 spiking at the same time as the hub4 does, surely this is the incoming signal from virgin media and not an internal issue?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Well VM could give you your very own upstream...but thats not going to happen or they can put in more upstream in the area which may help.

Or VM see your send lots of traffic at like 9Mb for hours and limit you?

Or you could lower your send rate do you steam on youtube or twitch?

right now im only streaming at 950kbps, which is definitely already on the lower end of streaming quality. Going any lower wouldn't be benificial for me it would make my stream look very grainy and blurry. I'm already on 550mb. end of my rope.

this is just getting started. surely i should be able to stream on virgin media.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/534eb7ff11d8c194ea357c70225222a2b3...
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/42aecaa6bdf805ae46b00ac62d21bbb515...
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0c542ad0a6207508b0df7c01625aabde77...

please,anyone.

@legacy1 wrote:
Well VM could give you your very own upstream...

Snip...

Sorry but what? Do you actually know how DOCSIS works?

jem101
Superstar

@moonies wrote:

Snip....

I beg , i literally beg someone knows a solution.

....Snip 

Well, yes, leave VM and find an alternative supplier. I'm not sure what on earth is going on with the BQMs you posted (incidentally how did you manage to have two VM hubs? Technically possible but very, very unusual), with the red drops but in principle VM's connections are going to be worse (in general) than an Openreach connection for latency - it's an unfortunate side effect of the technology used for cable connections. And as a gamer and/or streamer, speed isn't too important compared to latency.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jem101 wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:
Well VM could give you your very own upstream...

Snip...

Sorry but what? Do you actually know how DOCSIS works?

Wouldn't it be nice to have your own up stream channel with no other modems using it?😎

I don't think coming onto a help forum and simply stating to leave and find another supplier is worth your time surely. And it's not a possibility. The most i can get otherwise is 80MB from sky. That won't cut it for me. I need to solution, not a wize guy.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi moonies, 

We're sorry to hear that your issues are continuing. 

Based on the 2 live links you shared, things seem to have settled down on the BQM's - have you noticed an improvement in your connection. 

It looks as though we have already gone as far as we can looking at your first post where you say that Networks have looked in to things and a number of things replaced, checked and adjusted. At this point, if you are still having issues then the only thing we may be able to offer is the ability to leave with no early termination fees. 

As a last resort, I will pop your account details over to an Area Field manager along with the BQM's to see if there is anything further they can suggest. Once I have any reply, I will pop back here and let you know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs