Menu
Ldc32
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Internet keeps going down

Intermittently every day, sometimes it just drops for a minute or so and then it’s back on. Sometimes it’s off for hours and just yesterday it was off all day. Looks like the same is happening right now too.

Its usually a solid white light on the router but whenever this happens there’s green lights flashing.

An engineer came round last week and tested the router said everything was fine.

And whenever I call, whoever it is on the other end every single time they do a BS ‘test’ and say everything is fine.

Sometimes it’s been off for 1-3 days and they’ve reduced the bill a little for the days that have been lost but that just isn’t good enough it should be online 24/7

Highlighted
Ldc32
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet keeps going down

Also every time I check the website for known faults in my area it says there are NONE

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Known faults on the website only seems to report issues when 1000’s of users are affected. Local issues involving say one street cabinet will not appear. There’s possibly a SNR issue in your local area. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Ldc32
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If it’s fibre like they advertise how could noise be such a big problem?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As well as trying the “check service,” weblink at the top of this forum board, there is also a Service Status number 0800 561 0061 which usually tells you of local issues, down to postcode level (that might even not yet be listed on the Service Status web page) that may give you more info. If nothing shows there call it in and see what they say when they test your connection and if possible get a fault reference number.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
DL260182
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problems. Very frustrating.

Have had engineer out twice to look at it but still not sorted. Now considering whether there is a way out of my contract with Virgin as they are not providing a consistent service.

I can’t work if my WiFi keeps going down throughout the day.

0 Kudos
Ldc32
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Leeds area by any chance?

They won’t even try replacing the router here because apparently it has to be 3 years old 

0 Kudos
DL260182
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No, Bristol

Service has been worse since the price went up and they decided to renew our contracts as a result.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of all your network disconnections, useful data to have in discussions with VM.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.