Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Internet keeps dropping out several times a day

Hello, 

I have been having the issues for a few months now where, for no apparent reason, my internet keeps dropping out completely. It happens most frequently when I am using Skype, but has also happened when simply browsing the internet. It happens multiple times a day. I have updated the drivers for my laptop and have at various times reset the router to no avail. I have the Virgin Hub 3.0.

Do you know what might be causing this and is there any way to fix it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet keeps dropping out several times a day

Does it happen only on wfi connections, or are ethernet connections also affected at the same time ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It only tends to happen on wifi connections. It seemed absolutely fine until about 3-4 months ago.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The wifi environment is constantly changing - even more so now with more people at home and more SSID's in use around you. You can use a wifi scanner App to look at your environment and see what its like.
You could do as I and many others have done and get yourself better wireless equipment - such as a Mesh system, wireless access point(s) or wifi router.

Or you could try this as an experiment - as in the link

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-wifi-connection/m-p/4063642#M213435

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This is great. Cheers John. Can you recommend any particular WiFi scanner app? My apologies, as i'm not knowledgeable in this area. What benefit would getting a mesh system, wireless access point or WiFi router give me? And do you have any recommendations for those? Thanks so much for the help! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am Apple gear only so I use their Airport Utility scanning feature. Never use Android.
If you are sure that ethernet connections are all fine (?) then the issue is almost certainly with your wifi.

Try what's in the link first and see if that sorts it.

Recommending a system to get you good stable home wifi coverage is a bit like recommending a car. It depends on your budget, your home layout and construction, environment, whether you need/want better router functions, etc.

I am all Apple gear and am very satisfied with my arrangement. Others on here will recommend other systems that work well. Check sites like techradar & techadvisor for explanations reviews.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos