cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps cutting out every couple of minutes for about 30 seconds.

Spardus
Joining in

Any help with this or anyone experiencing the same.

Never had it before, but every 1-2 minutes my internet just won't connect or is extremely slow for about 20-30 seconds, or disconnects from a game or voice chat. Then its back up and this just repeats. Been happening since around 5-6pm UK time.

24 REPLIES 24

Here's the result of my Broadband Quality Monitor (one more time):-

BQMNW01.jpg

Hi @nwvmc

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Just before I look further into this, do you experience these issues via both wired and wireless connection?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I think I've made some progress here. I found a property called 'Band' in the Network Controller in my Surface (see below) which was set to '2.4 GHz Only'. I changed it to 'Auto' and things have improved. I still get disconnections but they only last for a second so are largely unnoticeable. I didn't even know that routers have these two Bands.
NetworkControllerBandProperty.jpg

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

That's great to hear @nwvmc

Thanks for letting us know and glad to hear that there has been some improvements with this. 

If you are noticing longer drop outs, please do let me know and we can run some further checks. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

@nwvmc wrote: I didn't even know that routers have these two Bands.

If you delve into the router settings (192.168.0.1) and log in - you can split the bands up and give them their own distinct names!

That way you can choose which to connect to and your device won't keep switching between them (it will always try to connect to the one with the strongest signal)

If you are on the cusp of it choosing - you *could* experience drop outs as it tries to connect to the stronger signal - Ideally it should be seamless but sometimes not!

Hope this helps!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7