Menu
Sullygirl-2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Internet issues - DDOS

I think i might be getting DDOS is there away VM can monitor my box to see who is doing it. And what can i do to help my self stop getting DDOS off line. Thank you 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Internet issues

What makes you believe that?

If you think you’re being DDOS’d then report it to the authorities as it’s an illegal offence to do so. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Sullygirl-2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I spoke to the police they said there is nothing they can do. Speak to my network provider and they saying there is nothing they can do. There mush be a way for them to monitor my box or something. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Sullygirl-2 wrote:

I spoke to the police they said there is nothing they can do. Speak to my network provider and they saying there is nothing they can do. There mush be a way for them to monitor my box or something. 

Nope.

You can put the hub into modem mode to change your IP but you’ll need a third party router to handle your Wifi etc. 

Plus there’s nothing stopping you getting DDOS’d again on your new IP. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Sullygirl-2
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I do have a gaming router. And new VM router waiting to be set up. So there is no way i can get my router monitored at all. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Sullygirl-2 wrote:

I do have a gaming router. And new VM router waiting to be set up. So there is no way i can get my router monitored at all. 

Where did you get a new Virgin router from?

And no they won’t monitor it. 

jpeg1
Community elder
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

By the very nature of a Distributed DOS the attack comes from many different directions and monitoring will not help resolve it.

The only way to avoid DDOS is not to have someone start it.

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I would have though the ISP Virgin media could advise if your hub was under ddos attack, it is usually websites that get ddos attacks but hubs can be a target, not had this myself but found a good link explaining this and measures that can be taken, seem a bit complex.-

Firewalls usually are needed to help protect against ddos, the hub has a firewall  and windows 10 has a firewall "defender", make sure both hub and pc firewalls are switched on.

How to Prevent DDoS Attack | For PC, Xbox, and Routers | TechDim

If you do switch to modem mode using your own router, which changes the IP address that may solve the unusual issue, but look at the logs in the hub settings to see if anything is indicated there.

alf28

p.s.  editing is not working today, keeps jumbling up and repeating words in the post, unless someone else is trying to modify the post at the same time?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There's no firewall logs on the hub to check

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I agree, there are no firewall logs for the VM hub but in hub  settings, tools, network status, the router status and network logs can be inspected for anything odd or unusual.

I always switch off UPnP in hub advanced settings which some advise .

Unless some expensive protection software such as software firewalls, or hard firewalls, or something like wireshark are used it is difficult to know who is attacking a hub or device, same with port scan attacks, however like most users with limited knowledge it is not easy for the average user to defend against determined attacks and I rely on the inbuilt firewalls but not sure how effective they are.

alf28