Menu
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet is way slower than advertised

Not sure what you mean - the network card will be inbuilt into your pc or laptop. I use Macs only so not 100% certain, but if you are on windoze you need to look somewhere in system setup > networking (or similar) where it will display the make/model/specs of your current network card - which has the ethernet connection port on it externally for the cable to connect to the Hub.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Nhire
Joining in
Message 12 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I meant I found the adapter on ebay, I will also need this new ethernet, but I cant seem to find it.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 26
Flag for a moderator

ok - step back.... What device are you connecting on the end of this long ethernet cable you referred too and does it not simply go into an ethernet port. Or are you using a USB-Ethernet connector - if so what is the make and model of the one you currently have and the one you are looking at ? Ethernet is the CABLE in this context

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Nhire
Joining in
Message 14 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Obviously I connect it to my PC that has ethernet port in the motherboard, the cable itself is pretty basic make id say.

Somebody recommended I get the gigabit ethernet network adapter so I was asking about it. they also mentioned "Cat5e/6a ethernet cable" whatever that is.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 15 of 26
Flag for a moderator

OK look in the pc settings for make/model/specs of your current network card - if it is 10/100/1000 already, you dont need a new one. If you do get the Gigabit adapter.
In either case it needs connecting to your Hub by an "ethernet cable".
Buy a good quality ethernet cable from Amazon - Cat6 is latest spec, Cat5e previous one - for long runs Cat5e will be a lot cheaper -- DO NOT GET Cat5 - ensure it is 5e.

--------------------
0 Kudos
Nhire
Joining in
Message 16 of 26
Flag for a moderator

my network adapter is "realtek PCIe GBE family controller"

0 Kudos
Nhire
Joining in
Message 17 of 26
Flag for a moderator

found an ethernet cable called CAT6 RJ45 is that gonna be a good one?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 18 of 26
Flag for a moderator

As far as I know that is a driver not a "physical" network card or adapter.

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit...

As you are getting into the dark mysteries of PC and windows I cant help you diagnose/fix anything there - you need someone to come along soon who might know what's what.

--------------------
0 Kudos
Nhire
Joining in
Message 19 of 26
Flag for a moderator

so I need to buy an adapter?

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 20 of 26
Flag for a moderator

No, the Realtek PCIe GBE family controller is a Gigabit adapter, so no worries there. (Gigabit Ethernet)

However, whether you have a 100Mbps or Gigabit NIC(adapter) is immaterial at this stage as you are getting speeds far slower than the capabilities of a 100Mbps NIC, so something else is amiss.

There is no evidence that the Internet connection is misbehaving (although this needs to be confirmed by VM)

It might be worth updating the driver from the Link JBrennand has kindly provided.

Did you manage to test with the PC in safe mode with networking?

0 Kudos