cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet in garden office

Linz1_1
Joining in

Hi, I know this question has been asked many times but I’d really like to get this right. Currently have m600 and hub 3 with 2 virgin media wifi pods around house. Have used a pod in the garden office but wifi extremely slow/drops frequently.
Looking to run an Ethernet cable from hub then outside to the garden office (around 10/15 metres from house) . My first question - what cable will be best for reliable and fast internet? Was looking at cat7? Also would like the option to have wifi out in the garden office too? Do I need to then buy an access point? And would this affect the VM pods in the house? 
thank you for your help in advance! Am not very technical so help to get this right is very much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Linz1_1 wrote:

<snip>
Looking to run an Ethernet cable from hub then outside to the garden office (around 10/15 metres from house) . My first question - what cable will be best for reliable and fast internet? Was looking at cat7? Also would like the option to have wifi out in the garden office too? Do I need to then buy an access point? And would this affect the VM pods in the house? 

Cat 6a cable is good for 100 metres, so no need for Cat 7.  Once cable is into the Office, use a wifi access point with ethernet ports.  This will not affect the wifi pods in the house.  So you will get the full 600mb over ethernet and a decent speed on wifi depending on the devices connecting.

Something like this would be a decent Access point.   Netgear Wireless Access Point (WAC104) | Dual Band WiFi AC1200 | Desktop Easy Set Up : Amazon.co.uk:...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

scallybert
Tuning in

One thing you could look at is 'powerline' networking. This sends the data over mains wiring.

In the case of the Devolo products we've used, we see >100Mb/s over the mains wiring.

This isn't particularly cheap, but does seem to work very well.

eg 

devolo Magic 2 WiFi 6 Starter Kit ~£200 one end plugs into your router, the other end gives wifi at the remote end. There will be a different wifi service at the remote end.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Linz1_1 wrote:

<snip>

Cat 6a cable is good for 100 metres, so no need for Cat 7.  Once cable is into the Office, use a wifi access point with ethernet ports.  This will not affect the wifi pods in the house.  So you will get the full 600mb over ethernet and a decent speed on wifi depending on the devices connecting.

Something like this would be a decent Access point.   Netgear Wireless Access Point (WAC104) | Dual Band WiFi AC1200 | Desktop Easy Set Up : Amazon.co.uk:...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I'd avoid powerline networking myself when looking at a garden room or outbuilding - they could work, but outbuilding electrics really ought to be on a separate circuit to the various main house, and in that case there's a good chance that speeds will be poor and in some cases you'd have no usable connection at all.

No harm trying if you happen to have a couple of powerline adaptors around, but I wouldn't buy new ones in the hope they'll do what you want.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you use Ethernet cable, just run two for future proofing. The cable is very cheap and would be a hassle to replace it in the future.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thank you for your replies, will go ahead with this option

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

I have a detached garage at the back of my garden, I initially started off with a Devolo wi-fi adaptor as pre-covid I wasn't expecting to do so many video calls for work. It's a pretty good adaptor but for reliability and speed an ethernet cable is always better. So I ran a 30m cat 6 cable down from my room at the back of the house across the garden and into the garage. I got a 50m cable and cut it to length and terminated both ends. Works a treat and now I get super fast speed in there!