cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet going offline every 20 to 30 minutes.

ChrisMayhew
Dialled in

Hello

My internet keeps going offline every 20 to 30 minutes since yesterday morning... We've spoken to someone on the phone this morning who "refreshed" things on their end but it's done nothing and still continues to drop out and come back on... The light at the bottom of the hub just starts to flash then the two arrows appear for a while then it comes back on.. Rinse and repeat.

Any ideas?? It's been absolutely solid as a rock until yesterday morning.

SH3 stats to follow in replies.

21 REPLIES 21

Thank you! It's only started on Friday morning.. I'm hoping VM are able to do something to resolve it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you checked first for “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for another suggestion, I tried both of them earlier this morning and they both said no known issues. Plus we have a friend a few doors away that is with VM and they've had no issues.

I've even set up a fan blowing at the Superhub just to rule out overheating issues because it did feel a little warm to the touch on the outer case but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Just had another look at the SH stats and noticed lots of Pre RS errors on Downstream? Especially channel 9...

Downstream bonded channels

Channel Locked Status RxMER (dB) Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors

1Locked40.320
2Locked37.600
3Locked38.960
4Locked38.900
5Locked37.300
6Locked35.7520
7Locked36.370
8Locked35676700
9Locked34.9141969231
10Locked35.73650
11Locked37.340
12Locked38.660
13Locked38.640
14Locked38.950
15Locked38.960
16Locked38.940
17Locked38.920
18Locked40.310
19Locked40.320
20Locked38.660
21Locked40.310
22Locked40.310
23Locked38.990
24Locked40.370

SNR is a bit low on all the affected frequencys as well.  I would say a dodgy passive or connector.  Have you tried checking all connections are clean inside and tight?

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

I've re-connected both ends of the cable today and they seemed fine. I do have one of them splitters from when I had virgin tv but when I took that off and connected the modem directly the power levels on the downstream went up over 10 which I believe is bad?

With the splitter on it keeps the power levels around what I originally posted.

I have quite a long spare cable from my TV install so I might just swap out the cable even temporarily to see if it helps.

Just to add to this I do also have something that was installed a few years ago by an engineer that plugs inside and runs outside to the box on the wall.. It's like a normal VM cable connected to a plug inside. I assume to help with power levels or something?

I have tried unplugging this but then I don't seem to get any internet at all with this off.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @ChrisMayhew,

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see you are having issues with your internet recently.

I will send you a private message so I can investigate this further.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thank you! Hopefully get something sorted soon.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for talking to me in private @ChrisMayhew.

I am glad that we have managed to book an engineer out for you, please do update us on how it goes.

Take care for now.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide