cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops

Zidanny19
Joining in

Throughout the day my broadband drops out, it’s easy to say this happens at least 5 times daily throughout the day, it’s persistently worse if you attempt to do online gaming. 

I’ve tried resetting the router 

I’ve tried changing WiFi channels 

ive tried switching off optimisation 

I’ve tried changing the ac setting thing 

I’m paying for VM 350 so I know it’s not a to many devices issue. 

it’s becoming extremely frustrating 

the only option I’ve not tried is modem mode using another more superior router which I think is going to be my next move. 

I’m using HUB 3 

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Firstly... Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jimboy56
Dialled in

Have you tried splitting the 2.4 & 5ghz channels in  Advanced settings > Wireless > Security ?

Channels are already split, we have 2.4 & 5 separate. 

both connections dropout not just one or the other. 

I haven’t tried disabling one though so keep that in mind 

Issues are evident on both wired and WiFi 

wired connections are via wall plugs so they are not direct from router to device, although they are TP Link so an established brand. 

I'm also using WiFi extenders same issue happens if you connect to these. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you do this then

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle or top/right of the first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.